Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webserver behind Belkin router ><

Webserver behind Belkin router ><

I have a belkin router and have tried forwarding everyport I've seen written online, aswell as tried putting my IP under DMZ mode, but I still can't host a webserver using my computer. Whenever I type in my static IP address, the router's homepage comes up always. And when I try typing in the static IP with a specific port, it simply doesn't display anything.

I'm running Windows XP right now.

Is there anyway I can do this? I even tried changing the default port for apache to different ports other than the port 80 thats assigned to the router. I'm using a wireless access card too, if that helps, and I haven't installed a firewall on this computer. I tried disabling my router's NAT firewall aswell.

Any help is welcomed, thanks----Lofter
    Last edited by Lofter619; November 13th, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
    I thought of something so ingenious, that if I began to understand what I was talking about, my brain would explode.dvb

Can you serve pages from your web server to machines on your network? This would let you know that the web server is fine. Is the problem just getting connected from external sites?

I know many times here in phoenix the internet companies like to block normal web ports to home users.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

You say that when you type in your static IP address you get your routers config page, is this an internal or external IP you are typing?

Have a look at your virtual servers config page in your router, you should be able to route traffic to your web server from here.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Let's start by determining whether the web page is working....

You type in the static IP address... That's never going to work...

type:-

http://localhost/[insert default page name here]

in your browser...

If you see your web page then it is working...

Then go to a command prompt and type:-

ipconfig /all

Take the IP address it reports there and go to the router interface. Close ALL ports you are forwarding and open port 80 to the local IP address you got in the last step.

Then, go somewhere else... outside your house and use that static IP address to access your page...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    Disable remote administration on the router, and forward port 80 TCP to the appropriate internal IP.

I just ran into that same issue with an Actiontech modem/router... Qwest uses the modem for authentication, so it is extremely difficult to do port forwarding, or disbable NAT. I was told bt Qwest tech support that they didn't support that particular feature, and that if I wanted to do web hosting, I would have to use the bridging feature to allow everything to pass through (which if I understood correctly) was like putting it in DMZ mode, but still allowed the modem to do authentication. I wasn't going to pay Actiontech $45 for additional support, so I put it behind a different modem on a different connection.

I searched for two days to try and figure out how to get it to work and wasn't able to either... not real impressed with Qwest selling me a modem and then not offering full support for it either. That seems a bit underhanded to me.

oh, sorry I didn't mention it, well the server works fine. Typing the internal IP for my own computer on other computers on the network will display the page. I just can't access my webserver outside of this network, which is the problem. Port forwarding and DMZ don't work.
    I thought of something so ingenious, that if I began to understand what I was talking about, my brain would explode.dvb

Banned
    Have you tried logging into the modem?

Many of the new ones have weird firewall/router features that don't quite work well with servers.

Whenever I type in my static IP address, the router's homepage comes up always
    If you are working from outside your own network and you are getting the router's
    administration page, that's not good. Make sure it doesn't have remote administration
    enabled somehow.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with Belkins. In fact, I'm looking at one now.

These are poorly programmed routers, at best. The DMZ on these things is a joke.

And if you have set up port forwarding to port 80 on your webserver and you are on the LAN, any test of the WAN ip address will bring up your router's homepage. Don't ask me why, it just does.

Make sure you have the remote admin feature disabled and have a friend check it from outside the LAN. If your router is properly setup in "Virtual Servers" and forwards port 80 to the local web server, your friend will get the webserver.

From inside the LAN, you will never pickup the webserver using your WAN ip address on a Belkin.

I speak from experience, hope this helps.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers