Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WPA2 encryption problem

WPA2 encryption problem

hey guys,

i have a problem here and i hope that u guys could help me out a little here... i just reformatted my laptop and now it is running on windows XP. the problem is that i could no longer connect to WPA2 Access Point. i have a linksys WRT54GC router and had WPA2 set up and it was fully functional before i reformat my laptop. i have installed KB893357 (to suppport WPA2) but then i still cant connect to one... it will say connecting but then it will never connect and will connect to some other network that doesnt have WPA2 encryption enabled

please help...

After formatting did you install the most recent drivers for your wireless card provided by the manufactuer? Are you using windows zero wireless configuration or a connection manger provided by the card manufactuer?

Did you re-install the encryption key?

Cheers:
    DjM

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Simply installing the KB893357 hotfix won't necessary make it work properly with WPA2. As stated earlier, you need drivers and probably other MS patches. Did you try SP2?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

i reinstalled all drivers that is provided by the OEM but i didnt not install the wireless card driver provided by MS coz it screwed up my LED indicator... i m using Zero Config from windows not any other 3rd party software do u think it is the driver that i m missing from MS that caused this problem?

OK, theres more specifics that have to be known in order to answer your question or solve the problem you are describing. Im going to quote someone and say playing "is it bigger than a bread box?" is going no where fast. I will go a bit further and make an attempt to get all the info needed though, im not trying to be cynical but completely specific.
    As to the router it must be known. What is the model of router are you using? Which version of wpa2 have you enable at the router? WPA2-enterrprise and WPA2-personal? is it using tkip or psk for the key? Is the router set to only allow wpa2? These have to match the settings and capibilities of your wireless card.
    Now about the wireless card, what brand and model of card are you using? What is the version number of the driver that has been installed? Did you use the driver from the cd that came with the card or did you download the driver from the manufactuers website? Have you double checked to make sure that the format your putting the key in matches the way it was put in the router? You want the latest drivers for the card from the manufactuers website.
    And as zencoder asked did you install service pack 2 for windows xp? One of the less mentioned features of sp2 was the fixes included for wireless connections. Zero wireless config pre sp2 was a broken joke.

I think this covers it all, that should be every thing you will want to check in order to correct the problem. If you still need assistance with the issue please post the answer to my questions and I will check into it and give you my advice.

i have a linksys WRT54GC router with firmware v1.02.8 using WPA2 Personal with AES encryption... as i said i have it working before i reformat my laptop so it is not hardware issue. and it is running on XP Pro SP2 with all manufacturers' drivers installed and updated all windows update except the wireless driver... i m sorry for not posting more info on the previous post please tell me if i missed out any other info

Mabey someone else will be able to assist you with the info you provided, unfortuantly for me to be able to research the problem your having all the questions I asked in my previous post would have to be answered. The answers will allow me to look up your product manuals, hardware capibilities, patches and fixes by the manufactuer as well as check their trouble shooting guides.

Just Another Geek
    Did you use certificates or a password to protect the WPA2 connection?
    If you used a certificate, you probably lost it when you reformatted windows.

This may help you:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...te=wrt54g+wpa2
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Re: WPA2 encryption problem

Originally posted here by whatever878787
    it will say connecting but then it will never connect and will connect to some other network that doesnt have WPA2 encryption enabled
    Curious: did you try using the same linksys device with WPA2 turned off? Does it still connect?
    Ah well...I\'m back on AntiOnline!