Thread: Firefox Password manager

Firefox Password manager

Ok, I had to uninstall mozilla suite, as I tried to install one of the tools from that Google hacker site that someone pointed me to, and it just caused my browser to lock up and not open at all. Big thumbs up there eh.

So I decided to go for Firefox and thunderbird separately. Now I come to setting the settings for firefox, and when it came to setting a master password, it was asking me for the previous one. So naturally, as I have set up Firefox quite a few times, I left it blank, and put in the new one. To my shock and horror, it said that I did not put in the old password.

What is this new password? and who has set it and not had the insight to put it in the help files?

Do I have to uninstall and install again? this is crap!!!!!

Pissed Jonny
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Greeting's

Reset your master password

If you have lost or forgotten your Master Password or you want to disable the feature, reset your master password. Note that, upon resetting, you will lose all the stored information in the Password Manager as this is a built-in security feature to prevent people otherwise resetting your master password and gaining access to your passwords.

* For Firefox ~1.5: enter "chrome://pippki/content/resetpassword.xul" (see Chrome URLs) in the location bar and click on "Reset"
    * For Firefox 1.5: "Tools -> Options ->Privacy -> Passwords -> Remove Master Password"
    * For Thunderbird ~1.5: "Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Saved Passwords -> Master Password -> Reset Password".
    * For Thunderbird 1.5: "Tools -> Options ->Privacy -> Passwords -> Remove Master Password"
    * For Mozilla Suite: "Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Master Passwords -> Reset Password".

HTH : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

I have found that, but unfortunately, they seem to be refering to a different version of Firefox, as when I do the remove passwork, it asks for the password I don't have.

I have tried removing the Key3 thing as well and it does not work.

Do I have to reformat my pc just to have a browser that works properly again?
    Sarcasm is a way of life

The solution is fairly simple. Take out Firefox and all Mozilla programs that are on your computer, and then delete the files and folders that were left behind. Then put your Firefox back in for a clean install.

You will find that the uninstall of the Mozilla leaves behind some files and folders, one of which is probably previously stored passwords.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Thx Moxnix, I did actually try to take out the password file, and that did not work. I finally got into it by cycling though all my old passwords, and found it. Although I have sorted it this time, it does seem to be a particularly crap problem with firefox, that even they don't seem to know how to solve without your credit card detail. And as my credit card details have no resemblance to my password that is a peculiar thing.

If anyone has a way around this, other than deleting the mozilla file, I would be interested. Though having thought about this, it would be quite a security issue to just be able to reset it without a password. Ok, point taken.

One curious thing that has happened, is that about 5 months ago, mozilla lost all my emails that I had saved on this laptop, no real big deal, but it was a shame, as I had quite an archive. Well I found them again when I installed thunderbird, I opened it up, and along with all my settings, there were my lost emails. Wonderful.

Yours with fully inflateable lungs again

Frobberly Jondleskewers
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

dont use it

In my opinion is dont use firefox with the password manager. I forgot it as well - wuite a nightmare to retrieve it....

I only use the password manager for forums that I go to, or when you have to give details to download anything. There is nothing sensitive left in there, purely because of the little button that says view saved passwords, and then the cancel button which if you press twice, seems to let you see all the passwords on the system. Although it seems ok, I am sure it would not actually be that hard for someone to brute force their way into it. But it is a handy one for forums.

Having said all that, I value my wonderful and growing reputation here, Look, 6 dots, and would hate anyone to pretend to be me and get me banned, so my password to here is nicely as secure as it can be for a site of hackers.

Will the real Jonny Frond please stand up (and no I don't listen to that anymore it just seemed apt)
    Sarcasm is a way of life