Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Process to restrict games on a computer

Would this game blocker be an add on to an existing program they have installed on your laptop, or is it a new pprogram altogether? If it is a new program and not an update to an existing one then surley you could refuse to allow them to install it, while still not breaching the AUP by stopping updates to the existing programs. Or do they word it so that they can install things like this?
    If everything looks perfect, then there is something you don\'t know

Howdy..

If you want to defeat this app that they are planning on using then just format your hard drive and install a linux distro, and just use wine to install/play the game. Guaranteed that this app will only be compatible with a windows system..

Seeing as it is Your Laptop then they carn't tell you what operating system that you have to use, and if you need to use a windows program for school work then just dual boot the drive with the windows and the other partition with your linux distro.

cheers
    front2back

Nihil - I've never heard anything like this either. I don't know how they propose to do it - but I'll try and find out if I can.

qwertyman66 - No, they have worded it so that they can install new software on my computer (like Symantec Anti-virus). Therefore by stopping the installation of this program, I would be breaking the AUP..

f2b - I've already got a dual boot on my laptop - there's no way they're going to stop me using Linux, whether on the network or not! I already have more than one way of defeating it, but I am merely wondering how the heck they would program something like that..

Cheers,

-jk

Hi J_K9

This is about the closest I have managed to find:

http://www.timelyweb.com/free/Lock-P...er_35403s.html

http://www.imperosoftware.com/impero.asp

http://news.thomasnet.com/mobile/m-f...ml?prid=475905

http://www.brothersoft.com/security/...torx_6807.html

http://www.iwaypatrol.com/iway_index.html

Now, they mostly seem to be aimed at networks/internet although I did find this (free) one that appears to work locally.

http://www.webjillion.com/archives/2...tation-blocker

I also wonder if bandwidth might be more of the issue than workrates?

Hi nihil,

For the last (free) one, I think you have to add the programs manually to the block list. So, with all the games out there that would need to be blocked - I think the technicians here might have a little trouble stopping them all.. And that one possibly just stops the executable from running - so if it is moved elsewhere, then the blocker will no longer work?

Bandwidth may be an issue, but I highly doubt it - the network was recently upgraded to 100 Mbps, and not that many people play games over the LAN (although I do play against friends from time to time). I think it's because a few people spend too much time playing games and it interferes with their study time. But should everyone be punished for the fact that a few people cannot manage their time?

Cheers,

-jk

Yes, implementation is certainly a big issue, which could well be why nothing has happened yet?

I would have thought that the network and internet logs would make it fairly easy to block online sites, even if they used a proxy.................which would be a dead giveaway

Blocking locally stored games is a different issue. Sure you could block the top 100, but you would still have to find the executables. Mind you, once that was done, you would simply apply the restrictions globally.

I wonder if this might not be a case of "being seen to be doing something.............anything"

That could quite possibly be why they have not done anything yet.

Online sites are blocked quite often - I'm sure you would not find it surprising that this site was blocked for over a year (which may have become apparent due to my infrequent visits here - when I was not at school)

I've thought of something else - maybe they could get the process names of the top __ games and monitor how long they have been alive? I know that would be a horrible way to do it (because if we take steam.exe as an example, I don't have to be playing the game to have it open) - unfair to minimised games as well.

Well, if they do decide to do it - I'll let you all know what happens..

Thanks,

-jk

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hmmm Its highlt impossible to stop game play. The only way that they can view is using VNC software to see what you are doing however other than that I dont know...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hmmm Its highlt impossible to stop game play
    Actually that is not quite correct. It is fairly easy to put a stop to it altogether . The requirement here is to allow, it but restrict it either by total time per user, or to certain hours of the day. Now that is the difficult bit as I see it.

Particularly as the students appear to have local admin rights, and can install operating systems and other software.

I certainly haven't seen software that meets this requirement fully. I would suggest that at the end of the day it is a total lockdown, or a case of responsibility and trust.

I'm baffled how this would work - how would an automated system be able to tell a game from a legitimate app? The teachers could log onto each student's account in turn, i guess - but with any reasonably-sized student body that would be a full time job. I'd have thought teachers would rather spend their working day teaching than spying on the students.
    PUNK\'S NOT DEAD!!