Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: THE most STABLE OS in the World?

THE most STABLE OS in the World?

So I was watching a DVD. It's called "20 Years of Berkeley UNIX".

http://bsdmall.com/historyofunix.html

Something he mentioned which made me think was "In Europe they were running a dialysis machine on Unix and I could only flinch picturing it doing a Kernel dump while some vital task was being done"..... And someone in the crowd asks him if he would trust an open source Unix for this task rather than Unix... He said if his other option was NT then yes.

This made me think about something. All OS wars aside, if YOUR LIFE depended on a computer running an OS, what OS would YOU want it running?

Obviously anyone answering wants to think this over for a while. Now, pretend all of this depends on the OS because the application itself was written VERY well. So the only thing to worry about is OS stability.

So here is the question:

What OS do YOU trust your life on? Any OS at all. From DOS - Windows Server 2003. BeOS, MacOS, MacOS X, BSD/OS, 386/BSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Linux (Which version + why)....

I'm wondering what people are going to say here really, but also, I'm wondering who can answer what the most stable OS in the World is. I'd really like to know. Even if it's not Linux.

Just remember this, if the OS crashes, you put your life on the line. So what is it? I'm sure waiting for the Windows Zealots of AO to reply, I REALLY want to see what you'd pick.

Now I just got home form the bar, and a show on TV about Haunted places is on so I'm going to watch that. When I get back I want some replys by people who are willing to discuss why they picked an OS they would trust their own life on.

If this was me and I had to pick a few OSs I KNEW wouldn't crash, here is what I pick:

SUSE Linux Enterprise (Even when I TRIED to make it crash, it wouldn't)

Slackware Linux (Same thing I can't get it to actually crash)

FreeBSD (The only time I've ever seen BSD crash was on my screen saver)

BSD/OS (See above)

Trusted Solaris and or Solaris 10 (Yea no one saw that one coming huh?) (I don't think Solaris HAS crashed, and come on, Solaris is BSD made proprietery anyway)

OS I would NOT let run this:

Windows 3.X

Windows 9X

Windows NT

Windows 2000

Windows XP (There are un-used icons on your deskt----------- BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP-----------)

DOS anything

Mandrake Linux (Linux may be just a Kernel and Mandrake is just as much Linux as what I wanted picked, however Mandrake is NOT as stable as my two picks)

Fedora Core (I wouldn't let this thing run my email)

Gentoo Linux (I don't need to die because Open Office, KDE and Gnome are compiling in the background)

RedHat Linux (I don't want up2date warning me of an update when the processor needs to be used for ME)

Linspire

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what's the most stable OS on Earth?

AOs Resident Troll
    FreeBSD was my intro to unix.........and vi...........aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Once you got it going......yeah it was stable

It is a very basic os.....then you configuer it....and you better know how to do it...or it becomes...unstable

Windows XP (There are un-used icons on your deskt----------- BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP-----------)
    I hate that thing!!!!

Its the friggn pager clip come back to haunt us

My point.......depends on the admin.....and apps\hardware...monitoring to make and keep an OS stable

Trust my life on an OS........guess it depends on the admin

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I will _always_ maintain that the _most_ stable OS ever is a mans mind....

_Prove_ me wrong....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    I will _always_ maintain that the _most_ stable OS ever is a mans mind....

_Prove_ me wrong....
    Give it 20 years and I will :P
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Two things:

What admin would you hire when your life depends on a machine running Windows ME? Hmm? Yea, not all in the admin now is it

Tiger I'm going to kick your ass. If you want to reply stay on topic for once. A mind isn't a computer OS.

Need to add to something:

For this discussion, before it's killed off by one of the zealots of whatever camp they come from saying "That's bullshit and the whole thread is a ploy to say one OS is better than another"....

I want people to list an OS in a hospital running ONE app, the whole server was never configured, the app is running on it's own. There is no admin. So the OS must be stable out of the box for THIS. If you'd like to list stable OSs that are stable after configuration OK too, but for right now, out of the box.

Not sure of configuration is really an option though, Windows doesn't let you play with the Kernel. The Kernel is where stability is really at sort of.... Ah hell, play along.

Originally posted here by gore
    Need to add to something:

For this discussion, before it's killed off by one of the zealots of whatever camp they come from saying "That's bullshit and the whole thread is a ploy to say one OS is better than another"....

I want people to list an OS in a hospital running ONE app, the whole server was never configured, the app is running on it's own. There is no admin. So the OS must be stable out of the box for THIS. If you'd like to list stable OSs that are stable after configuration OK too, but for right now, out of the box.

Not sure of configuration is really an option though, Windows doesn't let you play with the Kernel. The Kernel is where stability is really at sort of.... Ah hell, play along.
    Sorry Gore,

But this time I just can't agree with you... you can't have a discussion like this because it would never take place... this is beyond hypothetical..

Hospitals don't just run an OS... Sure their desktops may have Windows... (I've seen plenty that still have DOS)... Anyways.. they don't take an OS out of the box and run it... no one would be stupid enough to do that..

Take your pick of OS..

SuSE (which I ran for two years straight without another OS), Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware, RedHat... what are they really... they're apps.. driven by the Linux Kernel (which is the OS)... That kernel may be driving a medical device with software on top, but you can be damn sure it's tested and configured properly..

The topic is just wrong.. "The most stable OS in the world".. it doesn't exist... the stability of an OS is put into question based on the hardware you install it on.. As I've said before, many times, Windows ME is a hated piece of software... I ran it for 8 months 24/7 without any problems.. I crashed XP more in my first month than I ever had with ME... You can claim stability in an OS... you can claim proper architecture... but that's it.. too many other factors come into play... Environment (You could give me an OS you claim is completely stable... a couple hours in a sauna and it'll crash... it may not be the fault of the OS.. but who says every crash is the OS's fault)... Hardware... A crappy power supply will cause crashes... OS stability cannot be questioned independantly and definately not in the manner that you're presenting.

Most hospital record programs that I've seen are still DOS... it's all they need.. the software was developed back then and still works reliably for them... updated hospitals are moving to Windows... For mission critical devices.. you can be damn sure they're customized out the wazoo and are usually embeded systems... Small pieces of custom code sitting in the firmware...

I think that this question is nothing more than the usual which OS is better debate... it definately wasn't the best way to approach this..

Peace,
    HT

What's wrong with Dos? Dos 5.0 is perfectly good with a stable app.
    Dos never crashed. It was the apps that crashed.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted here by rcgreen
    What's wrong with Dos? Dos 5.0 is perfectly good with a stable app.
    Dos never crashed. It was the apps that crashed.
    There's nothing at all wrong with DOS... I wasn't implying a change should occur.. just that they work well.

Lol HT if you had to agree withme every time we had a discussion you'd get pissed quick lol. Remember our swap VS Virtual memory of Windows chat?

Anyway, I'll try to find a way to get this DVD to you so you can watch it. The thing he said was what really made me wonder if someone's life was on the line what they'd use. That was all. I really wasn't trying to make anyone say an OS is better.