Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: THE most STABLE OS in the World?

in the very unlikely event that a general purpose operating system separated me from death i suppose i would want qnx neutrino. ideally i could have someone like lockheed-martin or boeing develop an operating system specifically for whatever life enabling role much like the operating systems they use for their airplanes and air traffic control systems.

eros or coyotos might be good also but i think i would stay away from research projects.

at any rate i would completely avoid monolithic operating systems because i would hate for solar flares or cosmic rays or god knows to cause corruption on the system that results in a driver crash.

Well,

I would say VMS still has its supporters:

http://www.techweb.com/wire/26803586

Although I don't recall having problems with Solaris, on a smaller scale.

EDIT: RISC still has a lot of usage with embedded systems as well.

howdy.

Just to be different, i'd say Alinux would be my 0s of choice to keep me alive. I've got a box that's running it, and it was up for 5 1/2 months before it went retarded.
    And that was only because the power went out, and the UPS didn't kick in.

front2back

Windows ME to keep me alive i thinks!

Then when it crashes and kills me, my family get to sue good ol' Billy G for millions!! ..........................And I get a really expensive coffin I suppose!

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    A mind isn't a computer OS
    Hmmm... Now lemme see...

A computer works because of a series of elecrical impulses....
    A brain works because of a series of electrical impulses....

A computer boots and sets it's systems through BIOS that manage the hardware
    A brain's BIOS is the subconcious automatic management of the body, (heart, breathing etc.)

A computer can manipulate data
    A brain can manipulate data

A computer can store information for future reference
    A brain can store information for future reference

I'm beginning to see a pattern... brains and computers are very similar...

But brains are more powerful when it comes to processing huge amounts of varied information and solving a problem... In order to manage all that information there must be an OS of sorts even if it is not in your "traditional" sense...

In short... You don't trust your life to a traditional computer that is unmanaged... You trust it to one that is managed... By a brain... because the brain's OS is superior...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AOs Resident Troll
    I happen to agree with Tiger .....

The mind is the ultimate computer.....

I have never run ME....I have worked on them..

I would never run it....I have a 98 machine my kids use...pre -owned IBM hardware....

the hardware is about 5 years old...

:Original install...the thing has run solidly..and continues to.

I had a 14 year old IBM monitor I lost in a flood..it still worked....I think it was 13" or something....I couldnt see anything though so I had to stop using it

My point is...............I think the most stable OS would require solid hardware

and a great admin

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

And - a person with a brain.....well...designed and compiled the OS in the first place! Take the human brain away - there is nothing to dream up the OS, hence No OS!

Nokia:

You think too traditionally... There isn't a box - therefore there is no need to try to think outside it...
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Ive just been killed by Windows Me remember.

That's quite understandable....

Now you have a box... a nice pine one...