Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ethical question for MMORPG players

ethical question for MMORPG players

yes this is going to be about gill sellers, platnium sellers, gold sellers or whatever your game uses for ingame currency. A little background about the situation. Yes i know that money buying/selling is illegal, but i still almost did it back in january. My little brother used to play FFXI with me and was having a very hard time keeping up with the equipment demands of his job/level, so i was gonna buy some for him for his birthday. I had looked around online at various sites and the cheepest prices i found were jsut under $40 US for 10mil gill. I went as far as to create an account with the company and put a 10mil stack in my shopping cart. If it wasn't for a very important phone call i would have gone through with the transaction. Well fastforward a few months and i went back to the website to close the account i had opened because they kept sending me emails about all thier 'great' sales. When i logged into my account and was about to cancel it i saw that the order status on that 10mil stack was not canceled as it should have showed, but was actually showing as proccessing. about 6 hours, 3 online chat sessions, and 2 phonecalls to the business itself, boy they were freaked i got thier number since the one they list on the site is out of service, i convinced them that not only did i already pay for the gil, but that it had never been delivered. I just scammed them out of 10mil gill, which also happens to have raised in price from the 40ish bucks in Jan to almost $150!! If you guys were in the same situation, would you keep and use the gil, distribute it among friends and/or random people, or just get rid of it. I honestly and stuck on this little quandry, and am looking forward to my fellow gamer's input as well as anyone else who reads this.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

OK mate, we all answer to God, however we happen to spell the name................?

If people will cheat, then they deserve what they get..................

"He who lives by the sword, shall also perish by the sword"

And I did love it when that useless scamming auto insurance company paid me out twice...........that came to just about what they really owed................£$%^&* the begrudgers is what I say

2 wrongs don't make a right?
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Debs~

They do if you can get both in before the S.O.B. has even cleared leather.....................

My mother had an expression for situations like this.
    "It's only a game!"
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

It's unethical as hell, but considering the amount of time you spent on it, I'd say you worked for that virtual cash.

Give 5 million to your brother, keep 2 million for yourself, give 3 million to friends.
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Trevoke you disgust me! we are speaking to our mate J~I~ here..................

He gets 10 Mil for $40..................so that is 250, 000 per buck?.................they now cost $150, so that is around 67, 000

Now, his intentions were to give his bro $40? so that makes 40 x 67,000 = 2.68 mil?

He can now sell the remaining 7.3 mil for sufficient funds to buy both of us a beer?

NOW!..................whether the $40 actually transferred is the responsibility of the US banking system...........?

Reasonable intent has been demonstrated and a contract exists...............

J~I~......................life is more difficult now..............just leave the "kit" in a luggage locker at Chicago Central?

"The Enforcer"

Last night i decided to sed the money back into the online comunity I bought a whole bunch of really expensive items with it and started giving it all away to random low lvl people in town. I feel like Robbin Hood . . . if Robin Hood was a drunk, paranoid, obsessively compulsive Jew.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

nihil, I was raised dumbly honest and hadn't thought of the prospect of a beer. Good point though.
    Still, selling is almost as bad as buying.

JI : good deal. You're making a rep for yourself, too.
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Well, I hope that you have already made up your mind. I don't feel that the morals or opinions of others should influence your decision. You already know what you want to do.

A bank ATM spits out an extra $150 when you only wanted $100. What would you do?

I know that the ATM scenerio is a bit of a stretch...
    I used to play World of Warcraft a good bit. I knew plenty of people that would stand around and wait for Gold farmers to sell their really good gear to people of the same faction. When they did this, they would wait until the person opened up a trade window with the item that they were about to receive came up and then they would reduce the amount of gold that they were giving them...hopefully with the other person not noticing.

The type of gameplay that these gold farmers used, ruin the game for some people. The farmers would purposly try to get the other people killed in the game in order to aquire more targets in the area to raise their level of production. The games economy would also rise to levels that were out of control. These farmers would sell items for crazy amounts of gold because they knew how easy it was for people to buy gold online (which ... btw buy gold from these same exact gold farmers. This drives a lot of people away from actually playing the game and the level of interest in playing the game. These people are making real money from people trying to play a game anyway you look at it.

Your situation is a little ironic towards them. And if you are worried about the actual game company finding out.....Well, you NEVER bought the currency....it was given to you. They can backtrack and never find a transaction of real money from your account.

In all honesty thuogh, I would delete your character and play outside in the sun