Thread: Web Page setup

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Web Page setup

I am thinking of starting my website just to find out how it goes. First of all, I dont know if my isp offers webspace so how else can I go about doing it. Also I am using Windows XP Sp2, what are the recommendations in what program to do it in?

Elite Hacker
    If your ISP doesn't have space, you will need to either get a host, or if you're willing to host your own site, find out if your ISP is ok with it. They will usually put something in their terms of use about stuff like that. If you don't see anything against it, it's probably ok. Some ISP's block port 80 incoming, and in that case you can be pretty sure they don't want you hosting a website with your account. As for finding a host, if you're lucky, you may be able to find one that will host you for free, perhaps through a friend. Otherwise, you'll have to pay. If you're going to pay, you might as well go for a domain/host package and kill two birds with one stone. Maybe someone here will volunteer some space for you. Good luck.

Hi Cider,

I don't recommend you setup your own webserver to host a website online if you have had little or no experience with it - good security practices are a necessity here, and you may be susceptible to all kinds of attacks if you go for it by yourself.

I advise you go for a commercial hosting solution like BlueHost - I use them, and they have never let me down. Everything is easy to setup, and they have an excellent support team.. there's also less work for you to do? Plus, they have incremental backups, so if anything does go wrong then you can be sure they will have sorted it out within 24 hours at most.

All I'm saying is that you should try running an internal server before you go online - there are many security risks which you will discover along the way, because not only do you need to lock down the box, but you also need to tighten the code in the website. And it doesn't end there - there are a plethora of other areas which must be configured before you even contemplate taking your box online..

As for whether the ISP allows you to host or not - h3r3tic hit the nail on the head

Cheers,

-jk

Re: Web Page setup

Originally posted here by Cider
    I am thinking of starting my website just to find out how it goes. First of all, I dont know if my isp offers webspace so how else can I go about doing it. Also I am using Windows XP Sp2, what are the recommendations in what program to do it in?
    are you looking only for a host, or also on how to create a website? (you asked what program you could use)
    there's always a way in...

The first thing of launching a website is you should have the domain to host it and depending on other factors is that what type of web page you want to design use your creativity and use of languases is also important which is easy to use and in presnt time which is in demand and which will help to you create a faster and good responsive webpage easily.
    Thankyou.