Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PC locks up

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

PC locks up

Hi there guys

I just installed the 6600 GT a few days ago. For some reason during gameply my PC will just freeze and I will have to reboot by pressing the reset button. I am using XP SP2. IF anyone can think of anything please post here.

Thanks

Maybe not in this order but here are a few things to try.

Run all of your av stuffs in safe mode

Update all drivers and yes ALL drivers

Check to see if the manufacturer has a list of known hardware issues/conflicts with any of the other stuff in your box

try it in a second box and see how it reacts

check your heat inside the box big cards= big heat

check power consumption if you do something particularly resource heavy you could be trying to use more power than your PSU can push
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

FYI: I didnt double post this if you read the other thread you would have seen that. The other thread has nothing to do with my PC locking up, I should know, I posted it
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    check the card is not getting too hot ........
    some of the GPX cards do not have a sufficiently effective heat sink
    you may need to add a decent one like these
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    I'll second foxy, sounds like something overheating.

You overclocking the card at all?

Howdy.

I'm going to be different here, and would suggest that maybe before starting up a high end game, maybe turn your Firewall and AntiVirus off.
    That way you free up a heap of system resources and therefore your high end game won't fight for system resources, therefore it should stop wanting to freeze, thus needing a hard reboot..

I have solved many freezing incident's by simply turning antivirus and firewall off while playing those high end games.

Just make sure your disconnected from the internet before turning either one off, while playing the game.

cheers
    front2back

In reply to Foxy and Asp: how exactly do I view how hot my card is and that the fan is working? Is there a particualr program I can use. In reply to Front: I play my games online so turing my AV and firewall off is a no no, lets just say I am not taking that chance again. Just before i turned on my PC today my screen color was totally disorintated, hazzy and color lines running vertical everywhere. I switched off immediatelly, pulled out the card and plugged it back in. Now it seems to be fine. I am getting extremely worried as this is a new card. If anyone has a proggie for me to monitor the card properly please feel free to share as it is probaly overheating.

Thanks
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

hi cider.
    may you please post specs of your pc.
    write all components and models of your pc in detailplease.That always helps to quickly assess your system and point us in right direction.
    If you upgraded video card but nothing else then most likely other components struglle to cope.
    Pls detail of your system .(my first pick would be overheating or not enough memory
    thnks

Amd Athlon 2000+, 640 ram @ 266, A7N266-Vm motherboard. I also think its the heat. Is there a program I can use to view my cards temp and fan speed etc.
    Albert Einstein

I dont have fans on my case and it seems my card is getting to hot. I put my deskfan and opened my case to just test if it is that. I just played for an hour and it didnt lock up so it looks like the heat. So can anyone give me a proggie so i can monitor it. If no one replies soon ill have to make a new thread.
    Albert Einstein