Thread: Sony Minidisc

Post Sony Minidisc

Does anyone know of a way to get data onto an audio Minidisc? I assume they are like CDs and can be used interchangeably (CD-Rs labeled as audio can store data, and data CD-Rs can be written as an audio CD). I know the formats aren't the same as CDs, but I still can't seem to find much info on this.

I've checked Google and minidisc.org, as well as the Linux Forums for info. All I can find is that there is a version of the Minidisc made for data, and NotMD is no longer in development. I've got about 30 of these discs lying around, but I only need a few to hold the music I really care to listen to (The player and discs were given to me.).

I was really hoping for an IDE or USB drive for these , or at least some free software that will burn with the player itself (that's how you get music on them, transfer to MD Player with disc via USB), because the player doesn't show up in Windows explorer, and I don't see much in the line of Linux software.

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

This section of the Linux.com HowTo may help. Or maybe this:

Audio - Computer/Minidisc

NotMD was what I used back when I had a MiniDisc, but you're right - the leading developer has 'resigned' and the project stopped being developed in October 2005. The application should still work though? If it does not, then you may have to do it manually like the links above suggest - although this process may take quite a long time..

HTH,

-jk

Well those are quasi-useful...because if I can get a media player to "play" a .odt file..then maybe I can get it stored on there via the 'optical in' or 'line in'.

However, getting the data off would prove tricky, because I don't think the MD Player would playback the .odt so it could be copied back to the PC via the microphone jack, not to mention the electrical interference involoved that would undoubtedly make any incoming/outgoing data useless...dammit.

From what I've found in the past few minutes is that even the MD Data recorders won't record on MDLP discs...

Damn you Sony, why can't you make things easy? You have Linux on the PS2, give me open source Linux drivers!

One more reason not to buy a PS3...

Thanks for the links J_K9.

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.