Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Another way to task manager please

Tiger~

Exactly, that is a "stop error", he should not be able to get round it without rebooting. If he can, then it sort of confirms my suspicion that the error message is bogus, and the problem lies elsewhere.

I would certainly be inclined to run the Microsoft Registry tool I linked him to.

Morgana~'s idea of a disk check is also a good move.

OK some more info for you.

when the message comes up, I just press enter, and it goes back to the safe mode, normal mode screen, and I boot again and again till it goes through, so I am not getting past it, the error comes up bout 50% of the time.

As it happens, it tries to run check disc, and it always comes up as aborted, and boots up, so not sure how to get passed this. I think Nihil is on the right lines, which is nice, as it is fixable. As I metioned before, Ctrl Alt Del doesn't work anymore, and as it goes, I had to hunt high and low for Internet Explorer, so I would

I have cleaned a lot of crap off of this thing, and more does crop up each scan I do. I have a-squared, and love it, I shall try it on this one and see what happens.

As for windows updates, I have done two lots already. just looking to see if it will do more. If you think about it someone who refuses to put antivirus or a firewall on a pc is unlikely to do their patches. as we speak it is doing SP2, I will carry on with them, aren't we on to SP4 by now. When are microsoft going to come out with another crap OS, XP's been around for years now.

What else can I tell you, there is over 3 quarters of free space on this machine, so it is defo not clogged, I think it is just stupid abuse. But as you guys seem interested in helping, I will battle on for a while, then use it as a download machine for me (lol)

Jofosporious Fry Ontricate
    Sarcasm is a way of life

AOs Resident Troll
    Sounds like the install is F^&$ed as previously mentioned by Mr Tiger Shark.

as boot files (ntoskrnl) and basic OS functions (task manager) are not properly functioning...

what happens when you ctrl alt del????

If it were my machine....I would have formated by now...you really cant know what is on that machine.....it appears to have infected\corrupted the core OS

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

What happens if you try to boot into safe mode?

When you get in, can you run the check disk utility manually?

I am afraid that this does not bode well for the condition of the HDD, but please complete the update, run the Registry Tool and A-Squared.

AOs Resident Troll
    You know Mr Frond....

If that harddrive is going...and fails next week....you know who will be blamed.....

even if it is a hardware failure....and nothing you have done could have caused it....

It will still be you fault in the eyes of the user...

I would start backing up now......cause that is the only thing that will save your but in this case...

MLF

Missy Morgan, I am a very strong, hansom and charismatic guy. The guy your mother warned you about. I don't take blame, and I have nipped that in the bud already, and everyone in the house has agreed that if it dies it dies. And to be honest I bloody hope it does, as I live on the second floor of a tall house, and it is the closest thing to a TV that I can throw out of the window.

Mr Nihil, I agree about the HDD, I think it is on it's way out, though I am gonna do all that and see what happens.

Miss Morgan (Appended) The stupid cow threw away all the installation discs, so a reinstall is not that much of an option, Or is it? feedback on this please.

Kind regards, all you fluffy geeks

Fruuuuuuuuuuurk
    Sarcasm is a way of life

AOs Resident Troll
    As long as there is a License key...I am pretty sure you can install from another OEM disk....

You will have to get the drivers from the laptop vendor...usually video, sound, nic, modem, etc

I would make note of what it is using now....easier to search and find.....

Also...you can always order replacement disks....as long as you have that shinnny license sticker ...usually on the bottom of a laptop.

I am a very strong, hansom and charismatic guy,The guy your mother warned you about

puuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect...just my type

MLF

Regal Making Handler
    I was going to sugest a repair install, but you don't seem to have a copy of XP, that came with the box?

Have you tried boot to last known good configueration, access by pressing F8 when booting?

Have you tried restore?

Can you get a copy of XP and do a repair install?
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hi Jonny,

Doesn't sound too promising to me. The Tosh probably only came with "recovery disks" which are pretty useless in these situations.

OK, I have managed to "tease" replacement disks out of MS, (due to my charismatic charm, of course) and I will say that MS UK have always been very helpful and supportive.

However, I pay quite a high price for my OEM disks, unlike Toshiba and the other brand names. It is MS policy to refer you to the brand name manufacturer, unfortunately

Good luck mate, and keep us informed.

Boot into safe mode. Press F8 during bootup and go into safemode. The command you're thinking of is MSCONFIG. Kill TSRs and then uninstall some apps. You might also want to update your spyware detection software and run it in safe mode as well. When you're done doing thing and things are running faster, try installing hijack that and go to a forum to help you get rid of some things. Also don't forget about virus detection. You might want to update and then run in safemode as well.

Also, uninstall any programs that aren't needed. People with old machines shouldn't try to load up a whole bunch of software (especially newer software).

When you're done doing all of this, run defrag. I always defrag after a lot of uninstallations.