Thread: Copying files via SCP over the network is slug slow

Hybrid View

Copying files via SCP over the network is slug slow

Hi,

I'm trying to copy some files from an old computer over to a newer one (with more space). The older one is running Windows XP Pro, the newer one SLICK/SUPER (a stripped down version of openSUSE 10.0). I have set up an SSH server on the SUSE box, and I downloaded PuTTY on the Windows XP Pro computer to transfer the files over to it.

Here's an example command I used:
    pscp c:\file.tgz idiot@192.168.1.101:/home/idiot/

The two computers are connected via a router. Both have 10/100 Mbps NICs, and are connected to the router via cat5s. So, technically I should be getting transfer speeds near 100 Mbps. The only problem is that, in reality, the transfer is going at a pathetic 46 Kbps - so, as you can imagine, copying the 3.8 GB of files from one PC to the other will take a few days at this rate.

Is it going so slowly because I am encrypting the files, or is there something else on the network that I am overlooking which is hindering the transfer? There are only 3 computers on the LAN - the two I've already mentioned, and another laptop which I'm typing this from. Ethereal is taking its time to download here as well, so I won't be able to perform any checkups until the download finishes..

Thanks in advance,

-jk

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Hi fizee.

To add to nihil's post, your friends ADSL Router will probably have the speeds listed in its status screens somewhere.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

I would use a drive converter, but you obviously don't have one............might be a useful investment, as I don't see the actual connection changing in the near future?

I believe you're a bit late with your proposed answer. The OP (original poster) ask their question 14 years and 7 months ago.
    Rad