Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Copying files via SCP over the network is slug slow

What router do you have?

Is it a ADSL modem/Wireless router type jobby?

Some of these only act as a router when routing internet traffic but act as a hub when on a LAN - which would obviously be half-duplex.

Just post the model/make for us!

Hi J_K9

Now I understand ................I wondered what you were doing there

I would use a drive converter, but you obviously don't have one............might be a useful investment, as I don't see the actual connection changing in the near future?

My next move would be to use a file server as a go between................

Can't you physically connect them and get rid of the encryption? or at least encrypt then send?

Another thought, is if you have your AV running.................if so why?............trust the files don't you?

Just a few thoughts

I have a Linksys WAG54G (not the latest version - the one before that). It has an inbuilt modem, so maybe it is acting as a hub on the LAN? But even if it were, I don't understand why the transfer speeds should be that slow..
    Another thought, is if you have your AV running.................if so why?............trust the files don't you?
    Well, there are two reasons why I'm using SFTP instead of FTP:
    1. There is no inbuilt FTP server in SUPER, and I'm having a bit of trouble installing things (something to do with /tmp/app/1 being too small? I've never come across it in any other distro..)
    2. The truth is that I've also had more experience with SSH servers than FTP servers. I've just never had a use for the latter - they've always been too insecure to be useful IMO. But I can see how it might be easier in my current situation..

I might look around for a drive converter tomorrow; there must be one somewhere in town. Also, it turns out that my brother has a Maxtor external hard drive, so I'll be using that in the meantime to transfer my files..

But that still doesn't solve the problem. Is what I said before true? That if the network speeds are this slow, then I'm not achieving the full speed allowed by my broadband connection?

Thanks,

-jk

Well thats a 4-port full-duplex 10/100 Switch so that rules my theory out!!

Are all your cables in good condiftion? Have you tried a netstat -ano to see what other conectons you have open if any?

then I'm not achieving the full speed allowed by my broadband connection?
    this is an Internal transfer right? Broadband connection shouldn't come in to it!

Well J_K9 old chap, I apologise for not taking up a lot of your network type questions........I come from the old school of "just get it done"..........I guess that when you do most things for payment per hour/job/contract you get into that way of thinking?

Sure, if it were my machine or a freebie job I would be interested, and I agree it does seem strange, so I am as interested as yourself in the answers.

Nokia has an interesting question there...........is this internal, or over the internet?

Also, I am wondering if it has anything to do with the "push/pull" concept?..........you know, if I have a 256 upload and a 512 download, I know that I am not going to get anything like that speed in reality, but I would expect 128Mb?..................I am wondering about the time the encryption is taking?

Sorry mate, uncharted territory for me

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Yep... 46kbps sounds like a clean fractional T1...

Assuming the OP is doing this all locally I would wonder about the health of one of the devices. They can seem to work fine on the small stuff but when you try high pressure transfers then the problems show themselves.

I'd try to do small transfers and see how they go and their speed. Then increase the transfer size and see if it starts to slow down... If it does you have an iffy device and you will need to try to isolate it... First thing I would look at is changing ports on the hub/switch/router since sometimes a device like that will have a port that is bad but all the others work fine..

Hope that helps...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a couple questions:

Are they Cat5 or Cat5e cables?

Did you check what speed the ethernet connections are set to?

XP should tell you in network connections, ... can you do mii-tool -v with that version of Linux?
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Nokia - Aye, but if the transfer speed is the same as the connection speed to my router, then it could be cutting it down.. As I was saying, my Ethereal download was going slowly too, but I'll try to download something else later and see if it affects computer->router access or not.

Nihil - No need to apologise! It is completely internal; that is to say that the computers are transferring the files over the LAN. It could be affected by the encryption, but I don't think the slowdown would be so drastic. It may be what TS said too - a misfunctional port on the router? I'll try swapping them over tomorrow morning - I'm just coming up to the end of a 560MB iso transfer

I'm not sure if they are Cat 5 or Cat 5e cables. The cables have some text imprinted on them, but I'm not quite sure what the words/numbers mean. Here what it says (I doubt this will be of any use):
    Code:
    First one (SUPER box to router):

AWM   E89980-A   SUNF   PU   STYLE   20276   80oC [degrees]   VW-1

Second one (Win XP laptop to router):

CAT.5   ETL VERIFIED TO TIA/EIA 568-B.2 CAT.5 PATCH CORD - - - UTP
    XP is on 100MBps. I'm not sure about SUSE - I've never had to check up something like that before, and mii-tool doesn't exist in SUPER.

I missed the part about Ethereal before. So you are downloading Ethereal and transfering these files at the same time. All three hosts are hardwired with CAT 5 into your switch?

Also you seem to be stating 2 different speeds, buddy - is it MBps or Mbps - Bytes or Bits?

The Ethereal download finished a while ago - download speeds are back to normal now though (just tried downloading a fairly large file). And that was a typo - I meant 100 Mbps

The laptop I'm typing this from (ie. the one not involved in the transfer) is connected wirelessly, with a speed of 36 Mbps. The other two are connected via Cat 5 cables to the router (neither have wireless NICs).