Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weired internet connection problem

weired internet connection problem

I was trying to get one of my old box (PIII with Windows XP) into the internet. I can ping 127.0.0.1, result shows good. The is no problem on the NIC. I also went to device manager and checked it, it says device is working properly.

I have another computer of the same configuration and system. It connects to the internet or intranet (as a client). But the one, above mentioned does not connect. I have then, formatted it and reinstall XP, still does not connect.

1. Device manager shows nothing problem on NIC
    2. Loopback successfully return.
    3. There is no problem from ISP.
    4. Formatted and reinstalled OS.

Then where is the problem ?

Is this at home of on a corprate network? Is it recieving an IP address and all the rest of it?

Can you ping the default gateway/ internet sites?

Is it going through a router or straight on the the phone line/cable etc?

Are ypou getting any error messages when you try to access the internet or is it just not displaying the page?

Cheers!

-Can you ping your gateway ??
    -Is your network cable hooked up correctly ?
    -Have you tried with another network cable (the one from the machine that's working ok) ?
    -Did you check if you IP configuration is correct (subnetmask, gateway,DNS, etc) compare it with the pc that's working ?
    -Can you ping this other pc that's working ?
    -Do you have a personal firewall that might be blocking things?
    -Do you use DHCP and does this pc receive an IP-address (no more free addresses to give out) ?
    -can you ping a host on IP and on name (DNS resolution) ?
    -Do you use a HUB or Switch ... port where the pc is hooked up can be malfunctioning..switch with the working pc to test .

- etc ...

Can you give us a bit more detail ...configuration of the network ..what works from the above list and what doesn't ...maybe the problem is somewhere else ..but this might set you on your way.

[edit]darn Nokia ... you've beat me to it [/edit]

.C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

AOs Resident Troll
    Cable???

Are you using a router..?

Can you ping google???

Does your ISP use a mac address for connection??? because the mac address for the new machine...is different ...some cable companies do that here in Canada

MLF

edit>

guess we all posted at the same time
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

What a tag team we all make! Aint it funny how we all said the same stuff?!?!

What a tag team we all make! Aint it funny how we all said the same stuff?!?!
    Tag ..you're it

Yeah ...seems we are doing this stuff for too long ... time for someone else to take the ball ...

Or is it

.C.

*Nokia tags MLF*

LOL, Guess great minds think alike! All though Mrs Lefay's mind was Two whole minutes behind ours! - Too much wine and cheese!

Thanks for the reply guys. This is home network.

1st case: This is a part of my home network using win2k server, no router , no firewall but the hub is connecting other two computer as well (they work fine)

I cannot ping any websites. I checked the ipconfig/all , it gives the client IP as 0.0.0.0 (in automatic configuration), Then even before that I tried to ping server. It doesn't ping. I changed the cable, no luck and used the same cable in other computer, it worked.

Funnily, cable is good, client computer is fresh reinstalled. there is no fault in NIC , neither on server NIC.

Now there is no point of changing client IP cause it doesn't ping server anyways.

2nd case:
    I am using NTL cable Broadband, and plug the client computer directly from modem, still there is no internet connection. This never happened to me before. Usually what happens with NTL Broadband is once you set up broadband modem , it give the internet connection straight away without having to install ISP software. Now i even installed ISP software, no luck.

I again ping yahoo.com , no luck. My brain is frying.

I cannot ping any websites. I checked the ipconfig/all , it gives the client IP as 0.0.0.0 (in automatic configuration)
    You won't get reply from anything if your IP is 0.0.0.0 ... Did you give this PC a static IP-conifguration and then tried to ping ??

Is your DHCP client running ?

Try to give this "defective" PC an IP-address in the same range as the one that works ... see if that helps.

Does your W2K server hand out DHCP ...does it still have free addresses to give out ???

.C.

Ok, just to clarify this you have:

NTL set-top box ---> hub ------> three boxs.

as your set-up?

2 of the boxs work fine but the third does not, and the third is 2K server?

If you plug a box stright in to your set-top box you still get no connection?

Have you registered the MAC address with the NTL box?