Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Secretmaker - "all-in-one" security solution?

Banned

Secretmaker - "all-in-one" security solution?

I just stumbled upon SecretMaker. The idea is excellent: a zero-configuration all-in-one security solution. Some features are a little questionnable (a "Worm Hunter" that does nothing more than preventing your e-mail client from mass-mailing isn't exactly hunting-material...), but it does seem - on first sight - like a pretty decent (although basic) solution. The main problems I see are a confusing interface (which would be OK if it's really a zero-configuration solution...), options that don't really tell you anything about the functions behind them (what, for example, does "Windows cleaner" do? I don't know...), and weird hot-key combinations to override settings.... I've had it installed for a day or so and haven't really looked at it... I haven't seen it do anything yet (maybe it works in the background...) other than leading me to a SecretMaker search thing (effectively hijacking Google!) when I'm too lazy to fully type in a URL in Firefox's address bar...

It does look (again, on first sight, and based more on the website's claims than on personal experience) like something that can be added to the free anti-virus/free firewall/free anti-spyware list...

In any case: the idea is great. Basic computer security (for the basic user) should be nothing more than installing one single application and not having to worry about it.

I'm a bit leery of all-in-one solutions, whether it's printers or security suites.

Let us know how it "drives" if you test it. Thanks for the heads up.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Security Watchdog - Protects you from computer hijacking attempts
    Intruder Blocker - Blocks out spyware, trackware and other harmful executables
    Worm Hunter - Protects your computer from spreading email viruses
    Of the nine features I see offered, the three I listed seem to be the only ones that regard security.. the rest pertain to other things (Note - They don't advertise an all in one solution... so this is discussing "all in one" solutions)

So, of the three above -

I think the only real "do it all" tool would be a simpler version of MBSA?
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../mbsahome.mspx

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Zero configuration with a confusing interface?? That's funny haha.

Personally I stay away from all in one's as well. Especially one with zero configuration. Negative, you'll do us all a favor if you leave it installed and see if it's any good. I wouldn't keep my hopes up though, but we'll see...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Greeting's

Although nothing to do with the product directly but the site isn't completely developed too. Most of the link's show up under construction. Not a good sign to me. Anyway I'll take the software to a friends machine and test it out tomorrow or maybe later then that. Anyway thanks for the information.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Check out the forums and note the most heavily-used:

http://forum.secretmaker.com/
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Anyway I'll take the software to a friends machine and test it out tomorrow ...
    Loved that line!
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Originally posted here by Soda_Popinsky
    Of the nine features I see offered, the three I listed seem to be the only ones that regard security.. the rest pertain to other things (Note - They don't advertise an all in one solution... so this is discussing "all in one" solutions)

So, of the three above -

I think the only real "do it all" tool would be a simpler version of MBSA?
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../mbsahome.mspx
    Maybe I've missed something, but I'm curious about how the only real "do it all" tool would be a simpler version of MBSA.

I don't think that MBSA could be simplified much as far as it's purpose goes... it's a pretty good program and I'm not really sure I'd consider it a "do it all" tool.. It tells you what patches you're missing and some basic policy stuff....

I'm not arguing... yet... just looking for clarification.

Peace,
    HT

Last time I checked, it doesn't actually do anything... It checks for good policies, but doesn't fix anything. The knowledge gap comes from the info it returns, and the ability to make changes.

So, I guess something similar to bastille linux with differences to allow basic usability would be good.

The MSBA finds problems, doesn't change them... Bastille Linux finds them and changes them. Something like this would be better than trying to secure an administrative account with applications running w/ the similar privledges

Soda: Your right MBSA, doesnt make any changes, but it does properly scan for "know issues" and it does (pretty clearly) explain how to correct the problem. I am not totally sure i would want a program making policy changes FOR me.

I always felt the information it returned was pretty straight forward on how to correct the issues it found.....

HTRegz: it isn't not even CLOSE to a all in one tool. If I am reading this right, SecretMaker is a real time utility while MBSA is not, nor is MBSA scanning for anything more the known issues and port scanning. Looking for exposure to exploits, verses the exploits themselves. Or at least thats my take on it...
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!