Thread: Event Log Error 5719

Question Event Log Error 5719

Now that I am getting into the swing of things both at my new job and on AntiOnline I have another question I wish to ask. Currently we have two servers that run applications, mail, dhcp, dns, etc. It is not the best setup, but it works fine for a small company. I know that in the past they had been using Windows 2000 server and exchange and then upgraded before I got here. However it seems that someone while doing the upgrading didn't fully get rid of the previous domain. I still get an error in the event log almost three times a day with the following error/message....

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NETLOGON
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5719
    Date: 4/5/2006
    Time: 9:46:30 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: Exchange Server
    Description:
    This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain OLD DOMAIN due to the following:
    There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
    This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

ADDITIONAL INFO
    If this computer is a domain controller for the specified domain, it sets up the secure session to the primary domain controller emulator in the specified domain. Otherwise, this computer sets up the secure session to any domain controller in the specified domain.

Data:
    0000: 5e 00 00 c0 ^..À

Everything runs fine on the network, but the strange thing is I cannot find this domain anywhere. I checked the normal locations in DNS and such, but couldn't locate this domain. This computer is not connected to the network or if it does I haven't been able to find it. It is just a bit bothersome and when I am setting up computers I always see two domains....the OLD DOMAIN and the NEW DOMAIN. How can I rid myself of this OLD DOMAIN? and are there any problems that may arrise from keeping this OLD DOMAIN around?
    It's not a war on drugs it's a war against personal freedoms!

Have you tried to see if you disjoin the server from the old domain?
    - Maverick

I have seen this before, iirc when you try to disjoin from the domain it will output that the machine is not a part of the domain, or no domain controller exists in the domain to disjoin it.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

That is something I am unsure of. Where can I check on this or maybe you can point me in the direction of a good resource to make sure the proper steps of removing an old domain have been done correctly. I will read up on it, but any steps to doing this would be quite helpful.

demote a windows 2000 server:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q238369/
    kr5kernel

Not sure what server to run the dcpromo on as both are 2003 server. I do not know where this OLD DOMAIN is. All I know is that an error in the event log continues to come up every day. If I demote one of the current servers won't that mess up the NEW DOMAIN and not to mention Active Directory and still leave me with the OLD DOMAIN. Thanks for the help, but I am not sure I want to demote my main servers. Is there anything else I should check in to see if perhaps somewhere on one of these servers. We also have a few machines which are used as buildmachines, but I do not believe they have anything to do with this OLD DOMAIN event error issue.

I get what you mean, I have seen this happen when a windows 200 server was upgraded to 2003. A new domain was created but the server's name remained the same. There for it could never demote the server to remove the old domain information. check this out:
    http://www.petri.co.il/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm

I would avoid doing any major demotions or cleaning of metadata until you have some more time to investigate.
    kr5kernel

Just Another Geek
    Somebody probably renamed the old domain to the new one or installed a new domain and switched domains on the exchange server.. Anyway.. I seem to recall exchange storing the domain name somewhere (probably the registry) when you install it.. This seems to come back up every now and then.. Perhaps this helps:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

This is a neat tool, but the steps I have to take just to attempt this fix seem a bit daunting. It wants me to move all exchange data off of the domain controllers. That is just step one and the rest are similar with needing to backup everything, stop and start services, etc. Is there any other way? Or am I stuck untill I can really dedicate time to moving, stopping and starting the exchange server?