Thread: Document/Project Organizer

Question Document/Project Organizer

I'm looking for an application that I can use to keep track of my many half-baked projects and collections of files.

I don't need a full-fledged project management suite, because I'm not managing any one particular project, I just want to organize all my different projects in one place and keep descriptions, dates, and different file revisions.

I guess I'm looking for a stand-alone, single-user, very simple version of Visual Source safe...but with a better interface.

I'm not sure if anything like this is out there just yet...if it is, I want it. If not, I may begin to write my own...

Anyone got any ideas? Oh yea, I'd prefer the application to be cross platform (Java or .NET) so I can run it on my Linux and Windows boxes. A web-based CMS with my needs wouldn't be horrible either, I can just run Apache on my Linux server and access it inside the network.

Here's a bit more of an example:
    I have a folder containing subdirectories of website tutorials, single documents, images, etc etc that I plan to put on my website, but haven't yet. That is one project, and I'd like be able to set a description for the project and every item in it.

I also have a Texas Hold Em game I was writing in C#, but never did any UI for it. I may continue with it later, there's another project.

I have many other half-completed programming projects, etc that would be added to this.

Thanks,
    A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

I wouldn't know if you have heard of this; but I think what you are looking for is a Personal Information Manager (PIM). There are many different types of PIMs, including locally run user software, right through to client/server architecture.

Google It

I would personally recommend finding a wiki that is on the platform you prefer and deploying that. Check out this page: http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?CategoryPersonalWiki for a list of Personal Wikis.

Hope you have fun exploring PIMs.

Thanks, but incorrect. Personal Information Managers are more of personal organizers with contacts, todo lists, etc etc. Also, as far as wikis go, I use dokuwiki for my website (www.etheism.org).

Think of a peronal, miniaturized, updated, better looking, non-enterprise level version of Visual Sourcesafe. (I know they're working on VS 2005 right now..but I don't need anything that expansive.) I don't need the check-in/check-out features though, because I'm pretty much just going to use this to store all the documents, projects, binaries, tutorials, and documentation in a signle, compressed or encrypted location. Each project/file in a project will have properties I can assign, like Date/Time, URL, Description, build, version, user, type (doc, source, bin, etc).

A_T

Hi

You may have a look at subversion[1]. It's free, getting more and more popular,
    and is available for any platform. I am quite sure it offers what you want...
    I am slightly confused that you don't need the check-in/check-out features, since
    these are the "basis" of any cvs's?

Cheers

[1] http://subversion.tigris.org/
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

Once again..thanks, but wrong. I don't need source management, revision control, or check-in/check-out because I won't really use this to keep track of those.

I guess I really can't explain this too well. I've started to write my own...but meh, it's a pain.
    Lemme try again:
    Think of a windows explorer folder with a bunch of projects in it. Everything's in a subdirectory and what not. But instead of using the explorer interface, I'd like an application that keeps track of the projects and allows me to change little details about it, like a description, the last time I actually worked on it, associated URLs, etc etc.

A_T

Ok if you say PIMs aren't what you need... but you have deployed a wiki.. i'm surprised you aren't customing a wiki instead of programming your own software...

What about TWiki and some plugins? and/or program your own plugins in perl.

I guess using a local customized-wiki is probably the best idea. I didn't get too far on that project manager in .NET anyways. Thanks for the replies guys.

A_T