Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Internet Piracy!

Originally posted here by nihil
    In practice, no one will bother you for making a backup of either music or software, so long as you don't distribute it.
    That's true but they are trying to make it technically impossible to do something which in many cases you do have a right to do.

DRM 'trusted'computing and all that..

I think that before deciding on manditory security measures that give companies more power over what you do with stuff your own, they should seek to atleast make some sensible rules..

There is a really large grey area, which is being taken over by companies jumping in the legal void with technical 'solutions'..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Yes I can see that problem.

I think that at least the EU should come up with a common policy or rules set.

It is not as if this "protection" stuff works particularly well. The counterfeiters will circumvent it and it just serves as an inconvenience to legitimate users.

If we have clear rules the manufacturers will know what they can and cannot do in a particular market at least.

DRM/Trusted Computing may sound OK in theory but it could actually have the effect of stimulating the market for counterfeit products?

Originally posted here by the_JinX

There is a really large grey area, which is being taken over by companies jumping in the legal void with technical 'solutions'..
    Do you mean companies like First 4 Internet, and their RootKit DRM product that Sony bought and used for a few months?