Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mafia boss gets crypto cracked - busted

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Mafia boss gets crypto cracked - busted

Here is a perfect example of why you should change your encryption keys from time to time.

Enjoy!

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs...aboss_tec.html

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hahaha his "encrpytion" was assigning a number to each letter. I'm quite surprised it got cracked.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

It's also a perfect example of why people should finish school and perhaps go on to college.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Originally posted here by ZT3000
    It's also a perfect example of why people should finish school and perhaps go on to college.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing! I'm no math expert and I can come up with a better scheme than that!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well if you ask me 40 yrs is a pretty darn good record of evading the polizia, so they couldn't have been too clued in to his encryption techniques...maybe the cops should go back to school....

Also known as "Binnu u tratturi" (Binnu the tractor) because of his reputation for mowing down people in his youth, Provenzano had been on the run for more than 40 years, many of them spent writing cryptograms on little pieces of paper, known in Sicilian dialect as pizzini.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha!!! That is classic!!!

I developed a way to encrypt my messages too! I know it is unbreakable. Here is a sample of one of my codes:

E-way attack-way at-way idnight-may. E-way are-way otally-tay oing-gay o-tay ack-hay e-thay omputers-cay of-way ose-thay erks-jay. I-way ant-cay ait-way. I-way ope-hay obody-nay eads-ray is-thay.
    He he he...

-Deeboe
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Originally posted here by Jareds411
    Hahaha his "encrpytion" was assigning a number to each letter. I'm quite surprised it got cracked.

yeah, it is easy enough to break when you know what you are looking for (I'm guessing that the Italian police didn't in the beginning). If he really wanted to be secure he should have used one time pads. The police would have never broken that...

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    The police would have never broken that...
    Provided that implementation was correct. Judging by this guy, he'd make the pad all 1s.

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

"In the Provenzano code the key is the +3 shift," mathematics expert Alessandro Martignago told Discovery News.
    I'm no maths genius either - but isn't that a bit obvious?

Nice find horse.. It's unbelievable they took this long to crack it though

Very amusing.