Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Germany supports opening massive Nazi archive

Germany supports opening massive Nazi archive

One of the largest storehouse of Nazi documents in the world, the archive holds an estimated 50 million files, many seized by Allied soldiers at the end of the Second World War.
    http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/worl...ves060419.html

Silly me. I thought all those files were available, but apparently
    this stuff has been practically sealed all these years. What will
    the holocaust deniers do now? A scholar could probably make
    an entire career just indexing it.

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Flippin sweet. I hope they release it, and someone puts it all on the internet. Or pays for me to go to Germany.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Kinda sad that the German's excuse for the delay was based upon this:

Germany had feared that it would be the target of legal action if this information became public. These concerns seem now to have been put to rest.
    And is that a pun...."put to rest".....as in most of the victims have since died off....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4921098.stm
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Looks like the "Poison Cabinet" is getting opened. the stuff they hold Nazi files in has a name which translates to that in English.

It'll be good for historians and scholars to mull over, discuss, debate, and write the new history books...but as far as the general release to the public goes, let sleeping dogs lie.

Germany is still in the throws of reconstructiion, public release of this information apart from it's historical acedemic worth...serves no benefit apart from stirring a pot that's already 50 years old.

At some point we have to let Germany get this behind them...and move on.

I know...someone is going to say...' if we don't remember history we are doomed to repeat it '...I'm not saying we should forget...just...move on.

Eg

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Apparently it's been open to select groups/individuals over the years.

It will take historians 10 years to go through all that stuff if not longer.

I walked through the holocaust museum in DC last April. You take an elevator to the 4th floor and work your way down. I was in tears by the 3rd floor.

I have a personal link to the holocaust and I've always had issues with the "denyers".

My father was an Army medic, when his European Military action was finished, his unit was assigned to assist the International Red Cross with concentration camp victims. I realize others may have closer connections to the holocaust, with my late father's stories and observations I would be a hard sell getting convinced that it didn't happen.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

I was in tears by the 3rd floor.
    Dude, try walking around Auschwitz.

The party still lurks in US cities and Germany. Say what they will publicly but I think there lies the real fear. I have seen leaflets here and this is a small city. Remember the outcry when we "the west" let East and West Germany re-unify? This is another step, perhaps the last one outside of repelling the future resurgence of nationalism that is bound to happen when economic stability's are cycled in a down turn once again.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    RoadClosed,

I can only imagine my emotional response to actually walking through there.

There are two places in the world I've been where the history overwhelmed me.

Culloden Where the Scots and my mother's clan almost got annilated

Masada Israel, mass suicide to prevent slavery under the Romans
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

NP: Ramones - Bonzo Goes to Bitburg.

I personally don't have any ties to the Nazi party, other than being German, however in WW2, my family faight against Hitler in the German resistance.

Something that does bother me is people who have actually told me "I said you were a racist because you speak German and you are German"...

That's bullshit. And in Germany it is a 1,000 Euro fine for doing the Hitler salute. You are not allowed to deny that the Holocaust happened in Germany. So for anyone who belives all Germans loved Adolph, who was quarter Jew himself, quit it. It was 60 years ago, no one is proud of it except the Neo-Nazis, so if anyone here thinks that... Please stop.

Oh and for the Tree huggers:

Hitler was Vegetarian.

NP: Anal **** - Hitler was a sensitive man.

Weird play list huh.

Now, I'm glad they are opening the drawers to people to look over, but it's bad enough the rest fo the World still makes jokes on how bad Germans are, and the sad part is that most people saying that weren't even born yet when this happened.

And for the people living here in America who think was Hitler did was terrible, (It was) AMERICA had concentration camps too!

And sometimes, when American Soldiers freed the Jews, they would lock them right back up for being communist. So if you think your **** doesn't stink in America, I'm just pointing out your farts give you away.

Germans aren't terrible people, they were led by terrible men for 25 years, and no one can think that they would alone have the power to stop that. Many tried, many died, but the nazi party prevailed and poisoned the mind of the simple man, as has been done thousands of times in human history. Don't blame it on the people, blame it on the leaders.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.