Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: virus found

Just making sure: a poorly configured Internet Explorer would be the...uh..."factory" settings? From Micro$oft?

IE foodfights aside, check out www.spyaxe.com sometime. I like finding out what I can about how these outfits work.

Hosted in the Ukraine. Owned by an outfit out of Manila. I won't go into what they use for hosting...

I downloaded the program from their site and checked it for viruses. Panda didn't find the file to be rogue. Opened it using Filealyser and got this error message twice:

"pkConvertSecurityDescriptor.ConvertSecurityDescriptorToStringSecurityDescriptor failed (The access control list (ACL) structure is invalid)"

That's a new one on me.

I'm not too inclined on giving the app a test run on this box. Nor do I have a throwaway laying around.

One caveat: I wouldn't want to go to the spyaxe site using IE's defaults.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by brokencrow
    Just making sure: a poorly configured Internet Explorer would be the...uh..."factory" settings? From Micro$oft?
    Yes, basically. My argument was never that Internet Explorer was safe out of the box. My argument was that Internet Explorer can be made just as safe to use as any other web browser.

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard