Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exporting Outlook PST files to flat/text files?

Exporting Outlook PST files to flat/text files?

Anyone know of a tool that will export messages out of a Microsoft Outlook PST file to a text file? Preferably one that will run in Windows.

Not really,

There are quite a few apps that convert from one mail system to another like:

http://www.aid4mail.com/?rf=g_convert_pst

And I believe that you can convert to XML for more stable archiving, but I don't know of anything that converts to text or rich text.

Re: Exporting Outlook PST files to flat/text files?

Originally posted here by ric-o
    Anyone know of a tool that will export messages out of a Microsoft Outlook PST file to a text file? Preferably one that will run in Windows.
    Hey Hey,

This may be a stupid response, but how about Outlook??? it exports to csv and tab'd text files..

Peace
    HT

Re: Re: Exporting Outlook PST files to flat/text files?

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    Hey Hey,

This may be a stupid response, but how about Outlook??? it exports to csv and tab'd text files..

Peace
    HT
    Yeah I know...but I have somewhere around 50 of these and that would take forever using Outlook. I thought at one point I found a Linux LIVE CD-based tool but dont remember which one...plus it would be a lot easier to process these in Windoz.

Hi,

What exactly are you trying to do ric-o ?

If it is mail transfer or conversion then I would recommend a conversion tool. You will still have to use Outlook as part of the process.

Outlook is complex, and is under Microsoft copyright. Part of this means that if you attempt to manipulate it through non-accepted methods you will certainly lose data.

You mention 50, which sounds like an organization, so legality has to be a consideration?.............and that would include security and confidentiality as well as copyright and EULAs.

So, what are you trying to move these PST files into?

Nihil,

I'm simply trying to move the message data from Outlook PST into text files so I can run Perl scripts against it to analyze it and manipulate the data.

As far as the legality: I have the authority and legally can do this - I'm covered.

Ok....will have to use Outlook...hrm.

Hey! ric-o please do not think that I was questioning your morality, motivation, authorisation or whatever.................I was not!

I was just wondering what you were trying to achieve and pointing out that "Outlook" is an MS closed copyright hush, hush, application............... that was my meaning of "legality" I had naturally assumed that you had legal rights to the data et cetera..............

Unfortunately, my experience has only been converting from one client to another so I got it wrong?

Yes, you will have to use "Outlook" to open the stuff up with..............I wonder if those apps that convert to HTM files might not help?.................... like it may be a three stage process, rather than a two stage one????????

What versions of software are we talking here mate?

I can "make enquiries" then........................

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hey! ric-o please do not think that I was questioning your morality, motivation, authorisation or whatever.................I was not!

Yes, you will have to use "Outlook" to open the stuff up with..............I wonder if those apps that convert to HTM files might not help?.................... like it may be a three stage process, rather than a two stage one????????

What versions of software are we talking here mate?
    No probs, we're good.

Outlook 2003. Yeah, I saw a couple of those apps that do conversions to other clients (as you identified) - would have to do to Excel format, for example, and then export out of Excel to plain text.

I just counted the number of PSTs and I have 195 totalling 47GB. Most of these are backups that were made on a daily/weekly basis for example so there will definitely be duplicate data inside them.

Sigh. Thanks nihil for your help so far and anything you find out.

Originally posted here by ric-o
    No probs, we're good.

Outlook 2003. Yeah, I saw a couple of those apps that do conversions to other clients (as you identified) - would have to do to Excel format, for example, and then export out of Excel to plain text.

I just counted the number of PSTs and I have 195 totalling 47GB. Most of these are backups that were made on a daily/weekly basis for example so there will definitely be duplicate data inside them.

Sigh. Thanks nihil for your help so far and anything you find out.
    Hey Hey,

What sort of time frame do you have on this? and how important is it to you??

I've got a busy week ahead of me, but next weekend I should have some free time... I'm sure I could write something up real quick that'll do the export for you...

Peace,
    HT

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    What sort of time frame do you have on this? and how important is it to you??

I've got a busy week ahead of me, but next weekend I should have some free time... I'm sure I could write something up real quick that'll do the export for you...
    I'm not in a rush...got some time. Wow, that would be cool HT! Thanks.