Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a good remote admin tool?

a good remote admin tool?

ANybody know of a good remote admin tool? I would like to remotely configure and view 2000/XP boxes. Maybe something that could pull up security audits, registry, running processes, hardware specifications, and other useful information. Any input is appreciated.

Terminal server on servers as it comes with two free administrative licenses, or tightVNC on workstations.

If you are using terminal services over a public network make sure you enable data encryption.

i would like to access the boxes without interruppting the user. I just need to pull data down from the workstations. No need to control.

Google PStools from systernals. I normally find it they do nearly all i need. One thing you need to have administrator rights on the remote machine for them to work.
    also check out the windows resource kits. They have plenty of good tools for what you seem to want to do.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

It really depends on how much power you want. For an enterprise-level tool, check out the Enterprise Configuration Manager from Configuresoft. From a web-console, you can modify registry values, change user passwords, run remote commands, gather thousands of pieces of data (file-structure, registry keys, device drivers, user/group info, etc), keep systems up-to-date with MS patches, create graphical reports based on user-defined values, and maintain compliance with government and industry requirements (such as SOX, HIPAA, DSS, etc).

Oh, and as a perk, it can do much of the same things for UNIX systems.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    We use MS Systems Management Server (SMS) here. It allows up to pull and push stuff to all the computers on the network, as well as look up all info on the box. Its quite powerful as an admin tool for a windows network.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Here is what you want:

UltraVNC. It provides encryption, remote administration and file transfer. All for free.

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I have used the following 2 products and throughly enjoy both... unfortunately to your not interupting the user problem these applications will log you on locally:

Dameware www.dameware.com
    Remotely Anywhere www.remotelyanywhere.com/

Both are good applications.

If you are just looking to pull information I guess the real key would be to figure out what kind of information you are pulling??? I might consider just using UNC paths???

Or you could use the manage option and just connect to another PC.

What exactly are you trying to pull/push?
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Computer Forensics
    I second the vote for ultravnc.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Just Another Geek

Re: a good remote admin tool?

Originally posted here by mrlucifer
    ANybody know of a good remote admin tool? I would like to remotely configure and view 2000/XP boxes.
    2000/XP comes standard with RDP (not sure about 2k though), admin shares (C$,D$ etc.) and the ability to remotely edit the registry.. No need to install anything.
    Maybe something that could pull up security audits, registry, running processes, hardware specifications, and other useful information. Any input is appreciated.
    See above.. In addition have a look at pstools as MURACU suggested.

If you like scripting stuff.. Have a look at ActivePerl, it contains Win32 modules that will allow you to do almost anything on (to?) a Windows machine.

Additionaly you may want to look into WMI.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.