Thread: how do they find out the cell phone

Banned

how do they find out the cell phone

i've seen all this web sites charging up to $400 for finding a cellphone number of a person. how do they do this ... is there such a thing as cell-phone white pages

are cell-numbers public records

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    they might not be public
    but all the numbers used will be on a D/B somewhere

otherwise how does the damn bill arrive each month
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Banned
    yeah ... but how can they get into private DB of some company

Most likely from an inside source, seems that's how most of these companies lose their DB's, a lot of companies who have clients or numerous accounts are potentially sitting on gold for some scammers/spammers, and with the right amount of money (everybody has a price) this information can be pried away from the most secure of places..
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

I haven't seen ones that will match a name to a number, but I have seen those that will get you records for a particular number, and for about half the price you mention. No doubt Dalek is right -- its inside sources, and social engineering, especially if you already have the number.

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    I have seen number of companies out-sourcing or sell information of people..... they charge handsome amount to give you details...... And as for where they get this information is quite simple marketing....... Even when we browse website or even offline we fill lots of forms and promotional items and we give away certain contact details.

but how can they get into private DB of some company

They might have someone who has the access of that information or might be working there!!
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Well,

1. A lot of these "private dick (head)" companies are pure snake oil scams. They try to con people out of money for information that is in the public domain.

2. Cell phone companies do have directory enquiries for their subscribers. Give them the account name and subscription address and they will give you the number. I believe that these databases can be purchased.

3. If you state that you want your number ex-directory it will be. You will not be on the database but you WILL be in the financial records, as Foxy~ pointed out.

4. If you buy a pay as you go phone they have no idea who you are. No matter what records they have access to.

It is a bit like spam really? I say I can find this information. If I can, I rip you off, if I can't then I haven't lost anything

There is no trick at all. Your cell phone is likely recorded on an application for credit somewhere that is then recorded with a bureau and anyone that has a business license can say they have legitimate access to said credit file and make a submission. Is it legal? Barely.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Banned
    aahhh .. i think that would be the most likely route ... the "credit check" scam