Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The RETURN of IRC

Originally posted here by The Texan
    If I wanted to go on IRC how would I go about doing it? I have never really messed around on IRC. and what is the AO IRC room called?

many sites around have a java applet you can download and use if not, gore's advice about MIRC is great. that's about the best one around for windows.

Also don't foreget to read a couple of the great tuts right here on AO for irc...a good one i remember is by MsMittens but it didn't improve my typing so i don't use IRC much

(EDIT: to correct my spelling, my typing really does suck)
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    thanx for the tips im looking into maybe jumping into IRC.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Originally posted here by er0k
    well, the problem is.. if you all remember long ago enough, JP or Brad or evil_enchilada or kk... etc.. one of those operators was ALWAYS online and enjoyed it. I really don't think we have that kind of community anymore. Personally, I just think its a lack of close knit stuff that we used to have here.

ill have to second taht....i remember when i visited this place a lot...cause well, the irc rocked, it was great to be able to talk to everyone in realtime
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

**** yeah sarin whats up dude? you still got wooshlizard? haha

im allright i supose...wish the IRC was actually active though....

whyu wont jupiter "endorse" one?

im allright i supose...wish the IRC was actually active though....

whyu wont jupiter "endorse" one?

Ill host the irc on my server, if they would be willling to endorse it. i already run an irc server.

I read this with interest. Is there an AO channel now or not? I spend a lot of time on IRC, idling in many channels. I use Tor on freenode and donate bandwidth to help the project. In fact, I've got a nice custom hostmask

I find the biggest problem associated with newcomers to IRC is the assumption by the MSN community that channels are places where people join, talk and then leave. It isn't like AIM, Yahoo or MSN and IMHO it's so much better for that! My PC is on 24/7, I do lots of things on it - of course I'm not going to be chatting non stop in any one channel all the time! Channels become strong because people are prepared to idle. My name is on highlight so if someone mentions it I can respond (assuming I'm on the PC). Query messages highlight so I'd respond to a PM in a similar way.

IM clients irritate me in the sense that you're in the middle of doing something and frequently get interrupted by someone who, if they don't get a reply within seconds comes back at you with "Why are you ignoring me ????????" or similar. In an irc channel, you don't feel obliged to talk because the chances are someone else is around too, so it's much more relaxed. You might get an answer half an hour after asking a question - and that's OK. It's not a telephone line. It's just a great way of learning things, getting instant help and talking to people real time. But it's also somewhere you respect the fact that people are not just there to instantly talk if you happen to join the channel.

You get a feel for IRC and interesting channels have plenty of chat, but there's nothing wrong with a couple of hours complete silence. Mirc sits in my system tray, a line of communication. It works and it's one of the many tasks I'm performing here at any one time. My nick is also there when I'm at work or in bed.

If there was still a channel around I'd be interested in joining - I'm on freenode anyway. Anyone still go there?
    Last edited by Moira; December 2nd, 2006 at 07:42 PM.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Antionline Herpetologist
    You might want to try irc.anewerairc.net or irc.smdc-network.org . They're both run by (ex?) AO members and are pretty decent. I'm on both occasionally. Nothing like the original AO IRC, though . It used to be amazing, actually. The best IRC channel I've had. High volume, generally knowledgeable members and very high signal to noise ratio. There were one or two assh***es around, but you get that everywhere.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Thanks, will give that a go. Yeah you get *******s everywhere, pity about the original AO channel. You never know, we might get something going eventually, again. What channels do you recommend on those servers?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Antionline Herpetologist
    It's pretty much only #lobby on both those servers. And the conversation's not really security based, but if someone raises the topic, there are usually enough people who can contribute significantly to any discussion on security.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com