Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just one of those moments

I think 9/11 stands out in my life as the single most important event in the world to date. I remember the Challenger explosion, I was watching the launch live when it happened. I can still play the video back in my head. I think though that the Columbia explosion affected the world more.

Tiananmen Square stands out in my mind, it may not have changed the world, but it sure changed China. Recently there was a hostage taking at a school in Chechnya. Children were executed. That has forever redifined the definition of evil to me.

As a Canadian, I think our royal fsckup in Rwanda would be one event that changed my country forever. We were commanding the UN peacekeeping mission there and royally screwed up, there was a massive coverup, violent protests here, it changed us forever. Two other Canadian events would be the Montreal Ice Storm of 1998 and the Great Blackout of 2003, I imagaine quite a few Americans around here remember The Blackout.

[edit]
    The town I went to college in was severely flooded in 2004, water was in our streets six feet deep. My basement had a foot of water in it. I was downtown when the storm hit. The sky was almost bright as day because of all the lightning around us, I could barely see across the street the rain was falling so thick, and the wind was so strong you got welts from the rain. It was as strong as a minor hurricane. I was in the streets when they sounded the civil defense siren, which had actually never been used. That's something you never forget. I was thinking "Is this a tornado, or a flood warning?" A tornado and I run into the basement. A flood, and I run for higher ground. Really had no idea what to do. I took cover in a store basement with a bunch of people until the water started rushing in and we figured it out. We got lucky, some people had to plucked off rooftops with police boats or helicopters. We were on slightly higher ground. That one didn't change the world though, it just changed me.
    [/edit]

Above all, though, the one event that sticks out in my mind, the first event I ever witnessed that changed the world, was the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. I was just old enough to understand its signifigance, why it was created, and had a basic grasp of what it meant to tear it down. My father woke me up out of bed at around 3am that day and sat me down to watch the first hammerfall. He asked me if I understood what the wall was, what it meant, and if I understood why people hated it so much. He explained to me that this was the first event I would bear witness to that would change the world forever. Until 9/11, it was my generation's JFK. I remember that more than Tiananmen Square because at the time, I did not understand what was happening in China, and I did not watch Tiananmen Square happen. Watching the first stones fall from the wall was the quintessential event in my life that taught me how easily one event can change the world, a lesson that served me well when the towers fell.

I can't believe nobody mentioned the moon landings yet...
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I can remember Eric (my driver) getting shot........... and changing magazines when the slide locked back........... I don't remember using the two P2A2s though.............

Eric was OK as it happens

I remember Mike Sheridan bringing Kiki to me (her name was Mary at the time)............ Waking up to bottle feed her every two hours was a bit of a pain (she was the runt of the litter)........... she would not leave me alone..... as far as she was concerned I was her mother

She got just over 21 and died.............. I spent the last hours with her but I did not have the moral fibre to bury her..................there are two gorgeous white flowers on the rose bush that is her marker............... my wife is a good woman

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    cdkj, I honestly had no idea what scandel you were talking about but I read THIS article and now I know what it is. It happened before I was born but I do like to know about history. The world did exsist before I was born lol
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

cdkj, I honestly had no idea what scandel you were talking about but I read THIS article and now I know what it is. It happened before I was born but I do like to know about history. The world did exsist before I was born lol

I figure some won't know about it. It was the first major operation by the FBI to trap corrupt public officials and most government officials were from PA,NJ,Delaware. Abscam was the name of the so call fake company they had. Thats when i first heard about the FBI being accused of entrapment
    As for my neighbor he lost his job over it which was a shame
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

Lets see myself I remember the day I arrived here in Canada .. and at that time it was snowing a lot .. Well I remember seeing snow falling from the sky for the first time ever in my life ( Keep in mind I was only 7 at the time & yes I knew what snow was but had never actually held any in my hands before ... ) .. That day for some odd reason stands out ...

Humm another moment would be when two officers arrived at our house ... I was cutting the lawn at that time arrggg .. Which at the time I was living their with him until we found our place of our own .. Well the officer asks me if my aunt was home and I told him yeah ,, I was thinking to myself the whole entire time that maybe my uncle had forgotten to pay for a parking ticket or something ... Well after a few minutes passed by I heard crying inside the house and I went inside and I was what's going on .. The officer told me and I just stood not knowing what to say or do ...

Another moment would be playing chess with my uncle one day .. He was teaching me .. Well we never got to finish the game because we were going out to go and see the fireworks for Canada Day .. I clearly remember him telling me ... "Daniel we'll finish the game when we get back .. I was like something like " we better because you know I'm am gonna beat ya" ... Too bad I never got to finish that game with him ....

I could keep going on and on but I think that I will stop their ...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Things that I will never forget:
    Global:

JFK assassination
    RFK assasination
    MLK assasination
    Reagan attempted
    Pope John Paul II attempted
    Apollo 13
    Challenger disaster
    9/11

Neil Armstrongs moonwalk
    Berlin Wall

Personal:
    the birth of my children
    my autistic son making Eagle Scout (there wasn't a dry eye in the auditorium)
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Originally posted here by Striek

I can't believe nobody mentioned the moon landings yet...

Post #10 ... http://www.antionline.com/showthread...0&pagenumber=1

dalek removes Striek's table....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Originally posted here by Evil Moo
    Well, I believe I was just barely 14 and still living overseas. It was 10pm and I turned on the radio as I hopped into bed. They had said a plane just hit the WTC, so I went out and told my family. As soon as the Pentagon was hit, my dad (a marine) almost instantly had all of his TDY and Combat gear packed and was making calls to get his unit in order. I remember wondering how long he was going to be gone for.
    I remember that night fairly well. It was a stormy one as Typhoon Nari was beating down on Okinawa, again. We couldn't do a whole lot since everything was locked down for the typhoon. So like nearly everyone else does over there, I was on dialup Internet playing games or browsing online forums.

But then my mom called me over to the TV. We first saw this on a Japanese news channel, and my mom wasn't sure if this was a movie or not (because the reporters weren't sure what the hell was going on). Nobody else, including the US Government stations, had any coverage until many hours (such as the next morning) later, so we could only go off of this Japanese channel where the reporters were as confused as we were. I couldn't even find this on the CNN website at the time, so I told her that it might have been from a movie. But it quickly became apparent that it was not.

Either way I knew there wouldn't be school the next day due to the Typhoon...though we missed several days because the typhoon recovery time was extended to be very long... I don't remember what I did after that though...

Apollo 11: Neil Armstrong's moon Walk. Not to forget Buzz Aldrin and Mike Collins. (Mike was in the command module)
    I was in year 2 at school. The events of that day changed my line of thinking and established the start of the path of my life.

Death of Elvis. School holidays. News broke on Breakfast Radio.

Death of John Lennon, on my way home in peak hour traffic when the news broke on the radio. You could see tears in the eyes of the other drivers as they heard the news. Some of the other drivers were shouting it out over the traffic.

Reagan attempted assassination. On the news... thought, bugger missed. silly polly, stupid actor

Australia II winning the Americas’ cup. Had to get up extra early to watch. Just seemed to sense that we would win.

Apollo 13: I remember being very pleased when I had heard they were home safe.

Challenger disaster: woke to the bad news on the radio. Was pissed when some ignorant idiot commented that "that should put a end to that waste of money"

9/11: this broke on our news very late at night, because of various things I didn’t hear about it until I got to work the next day. When the others realised I didn’t know they were amazed... 10hrs after the news broke. The guys at work were standing in front of the TV wall, watching the replays. the Iron Lady (we called her ballbuster-short for Ball busting bitch)was crying.. Comments like "the War has started." it was a bad time. I can remember thinking. If this is what it is like here. I am glad I am not in the states. Those people would have to be beside themselves.

Berlin Wall: don’t remember what I was doing. But I do remember. The it is a solid sign of the beginning of the end of tyrant/oppressive communism.

Columbia Tragedy: On Holidays. Woke up early to see what I could catch of its return. To catch the news that it was "Overdue". As TS said. My thought was “Oh ****. Their screwed"

Bali 1: Shock. Started to get an idea of how the yanks felt on 9/11
    Bali 2: Oh 5h1t.not again

Desert Storm: I was with A GF at the time, we had the TV running, I was home from work.hey I was the Boss. The others could do something. We were. Ah well any way the show that was on was interrupted. My thoughts on the matter? About time. And hope it’s quick. And few as possible get hurt (what a BS thought. it was war. but that was my thought)

Desert storm 2: Some one had linked a SWF on AO. It was song with GWB and CP. "What time is it Collin? Time to Bomb Saddam". Next morning. They did.

The London Bombings: I had inadvertently clicked on IE and up popped Ninemsn with the initial story. Went out to see if the family had heard the news, just as it broke on the TV. First time I had seen it first on the internet. (Most internet news I have seen is a couple of hours behind the OZ-national news services)

On a personal front.
    Wedding day #2: finding myself accepted into a fabulous Family

Birth of my children: Thinking at the time I don’t really like the idea of this person going through this again. NOW. I wish it had been a pair of Elephant Sized Echidnas.

Death of my Father: my Brothers and I talking for the first time in years. The first time I had seriously considered what mortality really meant to me.

Death of a nephew in a car accident (this was just a year ago), watching a beautiful family torn apart because of his drunken stupidity. And his grandfather go from a strong man to a nursing home in a year.

When my Mother had a heart condition. (That is how she put it. she nearly died that night). I had been working the night before on a network installation, on my way home, I had thoughts about my mom.. Nah I thought. But I will ring in morning. Had to take my wife to work at 6am, nicely got home and the phone rang. That was all the sleep I had for the next 2 days.
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr