Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prayers for Big Ben

I hope Debs "tirade" isn't directed this way.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

honestly road would she?
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Basically people are saying (not everyone) that this guy is the slave property of Steelers Inc. and their fans. And he has no free will to hop on a bike and ride it let alone jump on a merry go round with a nephew. He might fall down. Hey he should move into a single floor hospice facility where he is monitored 24 7 like granny that can't remember she has a whole family outside the walls. And keep him away from the stairs.

I hope he gets better and flips eveyone the bird. Speedy recover BRO.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    I wince when I see guys over here riding with no gloves on never mind without a lid.
    Yes it's stupid to go without one (it's the law here). It doesn't matter how good you are on a bike when you get hit by the car driver who isn't loooking.
    SMIDSY (sorry mate I didn't see ya).

I hope he recovers to learn the lesson.

I hope he recovers as well, my earlier rant (deleted) can wait for another time, I must say though having ridden bikes, that I am amazed and shake my head when I see in the summer espescially, people riding bikes with nothing on but shorts, t-shirt and sneakers, I have seen the results of road rash and it's not pretty...but hey they at least have a helmet on...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

People do stupid things. Doesn't mean they don't deserve prayers for the consequences though. Whether it's your fault or not, whether you're rich or poor, being injured in a wreck is nothing to take lightly.

Someone lecture him to death when he gets better. For the time being, I'll say a prayer for the man.

Banned
    If the rumors that he didn't even have a license to drive a motorcycle are true (and it looks like they are), him not wearing a helmet might be his savior, as he probably won't go to jail like the rest of us; rather, he'll get away with community service (in his case, telling kids how stupid driving without a helmet is)

AOs Resident Troll
    Geez.....

hope the guys ok...

but...not wearing a helmet....come on...he has to wear one playing football

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Last comment and I'm out. Another thread can be started. When you are on a bike you are out in the open. A side swipe by a car isn't going matter a hill of beans wheather you have a helmet on or not. Its a choice in some of the still FREE states. Like I said you are already out in the open. In fact your soft neck isn't likely to hold up when a solid surface, like a car, hits the hard shell of a helmet. SNAP. On the other hand you may break your jaw bit still be alive. Most brain injuries are death. Most neck injuries and back injuries (no helmet) are paralysis. The hard numbers are people die just as much with or without helmets. But perhaps people that wear them are a little smarter in many cases. Bugs, rain, rocks, hail etc. But try this. Take a full face helmet, pop it on. close the visor and drive to work then to the store then back. Take the kids to soccer practice in it. Report back here how it was. It's hard to scope the total environement in one WITHOUT turning your head away from traffic. Some studies say that's not true, visibility is not affected. They are clueless idiots. 90 percent of riding is maneuvering your cycle constantly into defensive postion. Whether that is into sight of other drivers or not taking risks like riding between cars or NEVER NEVER NEVER speeding through a blind curve. For the other 10 percent their is safety gear that goes only very little. How many deer on the road have you seen whith smashed heads? And when you do get into trouble the odds may favor a helmet, they may not. And the absence of one could factor in a chance to avoid it. Helmet may also compensate for the novice rider in mistake they make.

This is a pro CHOICE stance. Christopher Reeve had a helmet on BTW

//EDIT Negative, yo u don't go to jail for not having a license. The slap your writst and fine you. Unless your from Belgium.
    West of House

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    DISCLAIMER: I am not ranting for or against people wearing helmets or seatbelts. These are entirely my opinions with exception to my hopes that Big Ben gets better and lays the smack down on the field again.

On-topic:

I feel bad for the guy because it could've been anyone on that bike. Not much saves you when you're thrown from a moving vehicle (or one that just rapidly got stopped). I hope he recovers enough to get back into the game and carry on life as usual.

That being said, the following is entirely my opinion about seatbelts and bikers.

In Florida, it's not against the law to not wear a helmet. That's kind of *****ed up considering you see signs that say "Buckle up, it's the law". Maybe they expect the person to be dead after any kind of accident, who knows. I don't have any sympathy for any biker who doesn't wear anything more protective than clothes. A friend of mine has a 1000cc bike and he wears the entire outfit of riding "armor" as well as a full helmet. Will that save him if he gets hit by a car? No, but nobody can say "Damn, that guy was an idiot for not wearing a helmet or riding gear". I can wear my seatbelt all day and it won't matter when I get hit head-on by a semi going 90 but nobody can say "Tsk tsk, should've worn a seatbelt". Neither of these examples are at all what the point of the message is and that's "It should be common knowledge to do the most you can to protect yourself". That includes helmets, riding gear, wearing seatbelts, forcing EVERYONE in your car to strap up. I've pissed off people who don't even talk to me anymore simply because I say "Either wear a seatbelt while in my vehicle or you can walk; this truck isn't moving". My vehicle, my rules and if they want to give me the excuse of "Nah, I'd rather be thrown from the vehicle", tough sh!t. I won't be on the news just by chance that I get into an accident and my passenger gets ejected out the windshield and dies of "massive head trauma" or some crap.

And while we're on the subject of seatbelts (just so nobody thinks I'm ragging on just bikers who don't wear helmets).

Nothing pisses me off more than to see a *****ing entire family in something like a Ford Excursion hauling @$$ down the road and everyone in the backseat is just doing whatever, hanging out the windows, etc. Remember the Firestone/Ford fiasco a few years ago? That guy on the side of the road holding his dead 12 year-old and tried to blame faulty tires? Yeah, he was speeding and his F'ING KID WAS IN THE FRONT SEAT WITH NO SEATBELT. Dad wore one and came out alive but his kid didn't. Let me guess, I can't imagine how hard it is to get my kid to sit still with his/her seatbelt for five minutes? Hmmm, somehow my parents did a good job. We didn't go anywhere unless everyone in the '79 Land Cruiser was strapped in. Just my opinions.

As for defensive-driving bikers...well, let's just say the number of those I see on a daily basis is so few and far between, it's not even funny. Mel and I were driving down I-4 and we got passed by two guys on crotch-rockets. They proceed to get in front of us and POP THE BIKES UP ON THE ONE WHEEL WHILE DOING EIGHTY FREAKING MILES AN HOUR. Yeah, that's defensive alright. At least they had helmets on though! Yeah, the helmet won't do much when ONE LOSES CONTROL AND I RUN HIS SORRY @$$ OVER...God, I hate stupidity like that. That being said, the ones I do see that are driving safely and actually obey the road rules, I entirely support them being on said bike. The rest don't get any sympathy from me.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.