Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. gov't more active in piracy fight

U.S. gov't more active in piracy fight

I truely believe that the U.S. Government has a lot more important things to worry about than chasing down pirateers for the entertainment industries. I'm very confindent, based on the price of our Videos, Music, and the like; that they can bloody well take care of this themselves!

Anyway here's the lead-in on the article:

The U.S. government is becoming more willing to push the agenda of Hollywood and the music industry internationally, according to recent media reports.
    The May raid on the Swedish torrent site, ThePirateBay.org, is only the most overt action recently taken by the U.S. government on behalf of content owners.

Here
    cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Re: U.S. gov't more active in piracy fight

Well, people are already talking about elections so....maybe "some people" are trying to score some points with the hills. To top it off, apparently the RIAA is even going to start suing people whom lip-synch to copywritten music on video! Their poster-child thus far is the infamous "numa-numa" guy. Apparently it's illegal to record yourself singing along with and enjoying your favorite artist.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

Yes, I think that the US government has a problem. I would put that down to poorly drafted, inconsistent and haphazard legislation.

By that, I mean that you don't seem to have a clear distinction between criminal activity and civil law.

Over here, counterfeiting is a criminal offence, and is pursued by the authorities as such.

Copyright as such is generally between artistes and companies and is a civil matter, usually confined to ownership of intellectual property. These cases are rare.

That leaves unauthorised distribution and performance, which I guess file sharing comes under. That is the responsibility of the entertainment industry and has to be pursued in the civil courts.

So far, our people have really only pursued uploaders rather than downloaders, as I don't think that it is cost effective to do otherwise.

I would agree that whilst the US Taxpayer is picking up the tab, the RIAA and MPAA will not feel constrained by the costs.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Yeah, it sickens me how we have so many better things to pursue...oh I don't know, how about the homeless situation, the illegal alien situation, welfare running unchecked, and our education system which absolutely sucks...just to name a few. Power of the dollar, there it is.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Thepiratesbay is back online anyways....G4 TV did a report on it...
    O.G at A.O

Yes, because such industries are gowring sharply and their revinues are gorwing dramatically.. And more frenetic action against counterfeiters is a natural consequence ... they are vital industries for the economy ... especially when we talk about music ....

Producers and production companies have a considerable power to make the gov move the way they want.... they can change whole policies ....

My 0.02 $
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Nihil haven't you ever watched a US movie tape? We have an FBI warning that copying this video is criminal. It scares us, really it does.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by ©opy®ight
    Thepiratesbay is back online anyways....G4 TV did a report on it...

Yes it is, and do a traceroute to it... pay attention to the last hop

/giggle

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Hi RoadClosed

Nihil haven't you ever watched a US movie tape?
    Errrrrrrrrrr.............no, but isn't that because you guys use a different video format from us? (we use PAL and you use NTSC?)

The stuff we get over here just has the UK civil law warnings.

Yeah PAL/NTSC, but I figured some copy of something would have got around there. You see the warning on a lot of e-mule files. PAL is better by-the-way. I wonder if HD will be compatable?

It is criminal to pirate in the us, but a lot easier to prove in civil court. You wouldn't need as much evidence.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.