Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Explain the World Cup to me!

Off topic a wee bit but no more than the mini cooper thing...

Were those chickens on France's jerseys yesterday? And if so, what marketing genius came up with that?
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Were those chickens on France's jerseys yesterday?
    France......Chickens.......very apt!

And if so, what marketing genius came up with that
    The Germans, Italians, Americans, British, Russians....take your pick!

MMM France ... Chickens... Coq au Vin!!!!!

It could be "what's for dinner" if it didn't take 3 days to make. And you don't shortcut good food!
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    [B]Considering (and I could be wrong) the best we have ever done is 3rd place.... actually the world cup IS a big deal. It's only around every few years and it stirs some good competition among cultures. Unless your American, they we just PRAY the team does well.
    Hey at least you guy's can put a team into the tournament, I think our only showing was 1982, just think how big it could be if it sold in the US....but it's probably like Canada, half the country follows the tournament because most of them are from those countries, half of TO is Italian and the other half is Brazillian...:-)
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

I actually saw the game between the US and Italy, it was pretty good. I could only watch it in spanish, so I'm not certain about the calls made--particuarlly where one Italian pretended to be hurt then ran back on the feild very shortly after. I believe he was the reason the US got denied that goal? Once more, entirely unsure--no hable espaniol.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

Actually the bird on the french shirts is a rooster. they have been using it for ever.
    Road you are absoulutly right you dont take short cuts on good food.
    Dalek
    just think how big it could be if it sold in the US
    It might make a differance in Canada if it sold in the US but it wouldn't make any differance to the competition itself. The world cup is already about the biggest sporting event outside of the summer olympics. It wouldn't even make much differance to the number of viewers.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Originally posted here by MURACU
    Actually the bird on the french shirts is a rooster. they have been using it for ever.
    Road you are absoulutly right you dont take short cuts on good food.
    Dalek
    It might make a differance in Canada if it sold in the US but it wouldn't make any differance to the competition itself. The world cup is already about the biggest sporting event outside of the summer olympics. It wouldn't even make much differance to the number of viewers.
    No, what I meant by that was with approx 330 Million Americans, they would have no problem fielding a team that could dominate the soccer scene, if tiny Ecuador can field a top notch team then a country as big as the US should do well? they don't follow through from high school same with us, once school is over that's it, no junior leagues to persue a professional career, not enough solid leagues in North America..travel time sucks, if they could have divisions based upon the European models, then they would be able to supply a team of high calibre, same with Canada, but after school and maybe college sport where do they go?

Claude Swanson

True the main thing missing in the US for football is a proffessional structure. Untill they have that it will always be a suprise to see the US doing well in major tournements. I should have said in mens soccer as the ladies soccer team in the US is one of the top 5 in the world.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Originally posted here by MURACU
    True the main thing missing in the US for football is a proffessional structure. Untill they have that it will always be a suprise to see the US doing well in major tournements. I should have said in mens soccer as the ladies soccer team in the US is one of the top 5 in the world.
    Yeah their women's team got the jump on the rest of the world, but Germany seem to be hanging onto top spot, I think it's thanks to the generous college/university scholorship programs they have in the states, our women's team doesn't do too badly either.The rest are catching up though, and I think the ones to watch will be the Chinese....now there's a country that if pushed to excel at soccer could do so in a big way, the qualifying in Asia for the World CUp over the last decade has gotten tougher, and the teams are getting better (Japan, Korea even Australia).

The next World Cup in South Africa will be an interesting event.Players thought some of the days in Germany were "hot" Lol...wait until they go out onto the pitch in South Africa..

Claude Swanson

Banned
    I believe he was the reason the US got denied that goal? Once more, entirely unsure--no hable espaniol.
    The goal was denied because of McBride being offside. It was probably the only good call the ref made...

And dalek > there's 330 million Americans?