Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Photoshop-like program: GIMPshop

Free Photoshop-like program: GIMPshop

Heya folks,

I consider it a hot deal myself, considering I love the program and promote it wherever I go, so here's the scoop for any of you who are used to using Photoshop, but don't like the hefty price-tag: there's another option.

The program is called GIMPshop, and it's an add-on to the popular image-editing program called The GIMP. I'm sure a lot of you have heard about The GIMP before, but for those of you who haven't, it's a powerful multi-OS based program used for image manipulation, much like Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro.

What GIMPshop does is take people who are used to running Photoshop and lets them try out (or convert to!) GIMPshop easily... basically, you download the package, install it, and you have an interface that looks and acts like Photoshop, but runs on The GIMP's engine.

Again, this is one of my favorite programs, and as you can see, I even put up a page for downloading it that promotes the program. Otherwise, I have no affiliation with it, and didn't create it or anything (for those of you who might be looking for something negative about this, hehe).

Enjoy!

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Good find. I find Gimp a bit of a pain to use being very used to PS.
    This does help a bit.

i had come across Gimp in jan this year and instantly fell in love with it. its fun to work with.

somehow i found i could edit in gimp faster than with photshop, but it could be just the affinity to the program.
    i downloaded and installed all the extras they had, and guess what....it became even more interesting to work with.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

GIMP ..... yeah ... Tux's God ....
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

It took me a couple of days to get used to the GIMP after growing used to Photoshop, but I don't think a transistional interface would have helped. Clearly, I am too l33t to need any help with computers. Hmm... this might be a good program for parents.
    \"Some say they go looking for Drugs, Dirty Dancing and Pounding, Pounding Techno Music.\"
    *ahem* contact me

Yeh, see if they like it.

Anyone here tried it and like or dislike it?

I love the gimp. Is this just an interace add-on or do they add features? Fixing red eye is a pain in the ass with gimp but since it's free I use it. Wondering if there is some PS magin in there too.

Good post.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Hey Hey,

I just downloaded it (OS X version) and I haven't installed it yet, but I must say that thus far I'm not impressed... I'm hoping the product is much better... The site is ugly and this is the first time since you posted the link that I've been able to even access the site.. Next problem... they use uploading.com which means pop-ups, delays, access codes... I'm in the process of mirroring everything.. when I get around to it then I'll post the link up here.

Peace,
    HT

HTRegz, let me know when you mirror it. The site has been down for two days because domainsite's URL forwarding is being DDoSed currently, so the hosting had to be switched over to another group. It uses uploading.com only because there's no money for better hosting.

The product really is a good one, though, despite what the site looks like. I actually own the www.gimpshop.com site, and am a huge supporter of GIMPshop.

below is what dpkg has to say about gimp ... let's just say that I completly agree w/ the last sentence. There were times when I was in a hurry to finish a site graphics and had to dl'd cracked PS just to get it done on time

The GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages. http://gimp.org/ GIMP has grown completely un-intutive to work with. The most simple task requires cumbersome manual reading.
    /dev/humor: not found