Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the best way to clean a sticky KB

what is the best way to clean a sticky KB

I spilled a bottle of corona and new the keys are sticky on theinside.

can I take it out and clean it in water and then dry or can i clean it w/ alcohol

Blast From the Past
    keyboards are cheep, just get a new keyboard

if its a wireless keyboard then i would reccomend the same, but this time be more carefull around the keyboard
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

I generally use a solvent type cleaner. Spray it well into the board and leave it upside down on a sheet of newspaper overnight.

Pull it apart, and while your cleaning it, you'll be able to see how these magical things work and operate.!

just remember where each key went and make sure you don't get any of the circuits wets, and then put it back together and it should work again.

http://www.benq.com/products/Keyboard/?product=795

i really like this KB

so why would the water not work if i'll unplugg it ... what can it do ... rust things???
    /dev/humor: not found

Hey Hey,

I'm really surprised no one mentioned my prefered cleaning method yet, so I'll throw it up here...

Step 1: Unplug the keyboard.
    Step 2: Fill a bowl with rubbing alcohol
    Step 3: Remove every key and place them in the bowl
    Step 4: Pour the remaining rubbing alcohol over the circuit board or whatever internals are available when you remove the keys (this is sometimes the circuit board, sometimes plastic, sometimes 'nothing')
    Step 5: Stir the keys for a while
    Step 6: Lay gauze across the keyboard to absorb the remaining liquid (if any)
    Step 7: Remove each key one by one and use Q-Tips to wipe any remaining crud
    Step 8: Reassemble keyboard
    Step 9: Allow to dry over night
    Step 10: Plug in keyboard.

Peace,
    HT

here's the important Q. if i'll remove the "key" ... since i don't see underneath it how do i even know how to remove it or if it can be removed
    /dev/humor: not found

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    No one has mentioned those spray cans of condensed air.... they seem to work pretty well but its more for just blowing out food and crap I dont know if it would work with a sticky stain.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Compressed air won't work, this is sticky goo we are trying to remove. Alcohol/solvent will work.

Please be careful with solvents and only use them in a well ventilated space

DO NOT use water. Water and electronic components generally don't mix.

I generally use HT's method, except I use soap and water instead of rubbing alcohol. If you want to REALLY get'em clean, put the keys in a salad tosser filled with whatever cleaning solution you use and spin 'em until they get dizzy. Soap and water always works for me. Be careful, though, some keyboards are a lot harder to reassemble than others.

But, as Hex said, unless it's a wireless, you can usually pick one up for $10 or less... it's generally not worth the trouble to clean wired keyboards.

Water on a keyboard is perfectly safe, as it is for any electronic component (save for batteries and capacitors). The catch is that said component must be off when it gets wet, and fully dried before it is powered up again. It will never know the difference. Besides which, alcohol conducts electricity beter than water (afaik). If alcohol is safe, so is water. The only electronics that cannot get wet are those containing high-powered capacitors, such as monitors, amplifiers, and some radio recievers. The water can bridge them and discharge them. Water can also discharge lower charge capacitors and fry things like motherboards, but I have indeed cleaned motherboards with soap and water before. I just don't soak the whole thing, so the leads are never crossed. Generally, avoid anything with capacitors or batteries when using anything that conducts, including alcohol afaik. But you needn't worry about that on a keyboard.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!