Thread: Power of thought

AOs Resident Troll

Power of thought

This is truely incredible

A MAN paralysed from the neck down has learnt to move a computer cursor and an artificial arm by the power of thought alone. The brain implant that has allowed him to do so could be used eventually to control wheelchairs and prosthetic limbs.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...267536,00.html

Just image the possibilities................

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I actually saw something similar to this on some Discovery channel show years ago. The Air Force was working on preliminary tests for fighter pilots to control planes with their mind -- the idea being reflexes would then be a moot point. The pilots were able to control a ball on screen, and using that mechanism they could steer the plane left or right, but complex controls became too unwieldy. The scientist running the experiments, however, modified his personal sailboat with the technology, and made it so he could steer the boat left or right. I guess there are fewer degrees of freedom on a single plane, than on a fighter plane.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

roswell1329 as i recall they used that technology for bombadiers <sp>. they called it "the wish switch" and it proved more acurate than a man pushing a button to drop the bombs. but i guess with the advent of laser guided and smart bombs a man couldn't compete so it was shelved. and how long can 18 -21 year old pilots keep their minds on nothing but flying the planes. when a man of that age thinks of sex every 8 seconds the whole concept seems kinda scary

these experiments started in the mid to late 60's im surprised more hasn't been done with it until now.

but your right MLF...someday a man or woman who's been crippled by a drunk driver will be able to knock the crap out of the person responsible with some machanical appendage.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Just image the possibilities................
    The first thing that comes to mind is a little droid that all I have to think is "need new icy cold beer in frosty mug" and I've got one minutes later! Or, "change over laundry" and it gets done without me putting down the video game controller...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AOs Resident Troll
    change over laundry" and it gets done
    Ohh...wouldnt that be nice.....someone to do the housework....I HATE housework...

I need a wife

MLF

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    The first thing that comes to mind is a little droid that all I have to think is "need new icy cold beer in frosty mug" and I've got one minutes later
    Phish:

What are you??? NUTS???? "Minute_s_" later... If I want something that brings me my beer_minutes_ later I'll get married... Oh... Hang on... I did... which is why I still get my own beer...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AOs Resident Troll
    Well..I can get my own wine\beer\drink

I just want someone\thing to do the fricken housework....

So I have more time to drink

MLF

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Mistress Lefay:

Sorry... We have a nice lady who cleans for us... Very reasonably too...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AOs Resident Troll
    Mistress Lefay:
    Sorry... We have a nice lady who cleans for us... Very reasonably too...
    I gotta get me one of those....

til I can get a robot that I can control with my thoughts... or a wife

I really think its great that technology can help out the physically handicapped this way.

MLF

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    what about that robot vacuum cleaner. The Roomba?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted