Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: write-protection on C:?

Hi,

Please let us know how you get on................. We have other suggestions but they will be based on your feedback

i finally got round to slaving it to a larger drive.., a 80gb drive. in windows explorer it told me 'access denied'. just out of curiousity i went to 'properties' it showed the disc was read-only. i changed the settings to allow all to read, or write to and from it. After this i could see the folders and files on the disc. A scan of the disc showed a damaged and inaccessible area about 5% of the disc. otherwise most of the contents are intact except the WINNT folder. i never got to use the array of recovery tools i had been given and collected. am breathing a little easier now.
    now about the electrical traumas discs experience, how do i prepare for em apart from backups? are there other precautions?

OK, what you can do:

1. You must have a surge blocking strip or connector.
    2. Get a UPS (uniterruptible power supply)
    3. Use a RAID array.............on small systems I use RAID1................. this mirrors the activity of the first drive onto a second one.
    4. Get HDD Regenerator: http://www.dposoft.net/

will do, thanks alot

ok just one more thing.. after the mishap, am kind of 'arming' myself for any more eventualities. i have heard of disk editing..is there a way to copy the contents of the disk under the editor and may be use it for data restoration later? and is it ok to learn this just in case?

Hi owor ,

Just my thoughts, people do things in different ways.

One method is to create a "ghost", "mirror", or ".iso image" of your drive. If you have problems you could then reload this.

It would be a useful idea to separate your data from your applications and operating system in a different partition.

Another approach is to use a second hard drive, as a slave, and back up your data to this. It sounds as if you live in an area with not so reliable power supplies, thunderstorms and so on?

As the second drive is not being used unless you are actually doing a backup, the chances are it would not be harmed if you have a power supply problem.

Traditional backups onto CD/DVD are generally OK for most people though.