Thread: Which book to learn C++?

Which book to learn C++?

Hey there, I've come to the decision to attempt to master a programming language and after some thinking, I've decided to try and learn C++. My question is, to those of you who have a good understanding of the language, how did you learn it? If you learned it by reading a book, is there any you would recommend? I was tempted to buy "Sam's Teach Yourself C++ In 24 Hours" but I've heard bad things about the series.

I really don't fancy buying a book on C++ just to find out that it isn't aimed at beginners and is too difficult to start off with, then to find myself £20 out of pocket. Thanks.

Edit: Sorry if this would be better placed in a different forum.

- b0red
    - b0red

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    your profile shows you as a student ?

use the library either at school / college
    or the public ones, they are free for students IIRC ??

Use Amazon, and buy from the 'used' section

Not answering your original question viz-a-vie 'which' book
    as I am not capable of knowing just how your head absorbs data

for me, I like the SAMS '24 hr' books
    and I like Sybex books too

each to their own

but as I stated at the start, get a copy from a library and try it first
    if it DOES work
    used section in Amazon

MY prefered options

and welcome to AO
    as a new member
    although you COULD be anyone
    and we DO get a few older members re-cycing themselves every now and again
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

This site is amazing.

If you do everything they have and get a good understanding, you'll know enough to be able to google for anything they don't specifically mention.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Thanks for all your replies, I was going to see if there was a book in the school library on it but we've broke up for summer holidays and the school is shut for the next 4 weeks, I think. I'll probably follow the link gave by The Grunt, then once I've gone through it and have a better understanding of the language, maybe get a book. I'll take a look on amazon as well see if there are any cheap books I could buy.

Oh and by the way, I can assure you I am a new member here and not just "re-cycing" myself

- b0red
    - b0red

Cool

I actually am in a similiar situation that you are in, I need(ed) to learn C++ damn well!

Well, interestingly enough, there are opensource books that teach it!

How to Think Like a Computer Scientist is great if you don't all ready know another language (it's still great if you know another language, but it will be boring in the beginning).

If I my suggest, learning C++ may be intimidating at first. You may want to learn Java first to get your feet wet, get comfortable programming, then you can expand into C++. Just a suggestion

There is also a depository of free online books on C++, there is also Thinking in C++ and C++ in Action. I'm the scourge of free books

Also, you'll want a C++ compiler and whatnot. If you are using windows, you can get Microsoft Visual C++ Express Edition free (most of the times you'll be making a "Windows 32 console program").

Good luck, it's a hard but rewarding language!
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Buddies? I have no buddies...

Give the BSD daemon some love (proud FreeBSD user)

The C++ Programming Language, by Bjarne Stroustrup, inventor of C++

That book is a necessary addition to any, and I mean pretty much ANY programmer, regardless of language. It's expensive, but if you get serious about learning the language (which i was always too lazy to do) then you should shell out the cash, as it's honestly worth it.

as for compilers on windows, i'd get devc++... http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Thanks for the links Arkimedes, I'm looking into the "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist" book right now, seems pretty good. I've took your advice er0k and I'm using Dev C++ right now, love it

I'll keep y'all updated with my progress

- b0red
    - b0red

I got C++ for C Programmers by Ira Pohl..

But that is not really a beginners book... It does help out with the whole OOP stuff..
    If you know and like C you might like that book..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned: Accelerated C++

It is an excellent beginner's book and, although I left C++ fairly early on (I wanted to learn PHP), it taught me the basics very well. I can't recommend it any more! In fact, it was recommended to me (here on AO) when I asked the same question several months/a year ago. If my opinion is not enough, check out the Amazon reviews as well