Thread: Hidden Folders In Windows Xp

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Hidden Folders In Windows Xp

Hi guys

I came across something very annoying, i have box running Windows XP with SP2 on it and just noticed that the folder option in the tools menu has gone. Even when i go to control panel i couldnot find it there.

I am the owner and administrator of the machine and its being used among 3 bros through the same administrator account. I have even scanned the system via Mcafee Virus scan and even with adware, as i thought might be some sort of virus could have hide it.

Any suggestion how can i get it back and how come it just vanished out?
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Banned
    Howdy.

Have you tried creating a new user account, with administrative rights, then rebooting the machine, then loggin in and seeing if the option is enabled.?

Also have you tried booting the machine into SAFE MODE and seeing if the option is enabled.?

just an idea.

cheers
    acidtone..

Nops nothing even in safe mode and even after creating another account with administrative privillages. :-(
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Just Another Geek
    Check your group policy settings http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307882/.

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Explorer.
    "Removes the Folder Options menu item from the Tools menu"
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Here is a nice little tool that should do the job:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm

Select the "Windows Explorer" option and uncheck the "Disable Folder Options" checkbox. If it is already unchecked, then check it, click "Apply" then uncheck it, and click "Apply" again.

Quite a lot of other tweaks with this tool, as well

Ok I will try this when i get back home, but just one thing how come it get disable or hidden.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    As a sidenote, Sirdice's advice applies only if you have xp professional...

It's good advice but you didn't tell us if you had home or professional so...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Its professional edition and issue got resolved....... thanks to Old Friend Nihil...... but my questions remains how it got hidden keeping in mind that my brothers don't do this. Can a trojan, virus or other programs do this?.

Hi,

It is very hard to tell what causes these things. It could be malware, but somehow I doubt that in this instance. The folder option is not particularly relevant to malware detection and removal; and by disabling menu items, malware would actually advertise its presence.

Strange things happen in Windows as it is a very complex "beast"...........the Registry Hives get corrupted, the LSP stack gets corrupted and so on? Please remember that we are dealing with a closed source system (black box) and that you cannot expect a software vendor to stand up and say "we designed that badly", or "there was an error in our coding".

I am afraid that we are limited to finding fixes and work arounds.

Also bear in mind that if you looked at 10 different people all using the same version of Windows, you would find 10 different hardware and software environments.

If you look at the tool that I recommended, the advice is that if a particular feature that is causing the problem is not checked, then check it, save it, and go back in and uncheck it? I think that says it all......................it is a bit like hot-wiring the ignition of an automobile?...........but if it works?...........

That's Right.....
    The Tool recommended by you is a handy one, its been added to my tools library

Thanks Once Again....... You save the day