Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: no 80 Conducter Installed+Cmos Checksum Error

no 80 Conducter Installed+Cmos Checksum Error

Well im back again with a new problem....

I working with an older system at the moment, just ordered a new mobo for it, it is an Epox EP-8KRAI Pro.

The problem that I am having is on boot. I receive two errors. These errors are as follows:

IDE Channel 1 no 80 conductor cable installed:

CMOS Checksum Error - Loading Defaults:

When I got to hit "Del" for bios, or "F1" to continue, it brings up a black screen, as a header is the information for bios, you know Viacomm blah blah blah, nothing important. However below that it says Scan devices, please wait. Under that is the flashing prompt saying press "Tab" key into user window....and it will not go any further....

What do you thing about this one? I really am lost here..lol

The Router
    Life is like an incessant series of problems, all difficult, with brutal choices, and a time limit. The worst thing you can do is to make no choice, waiting for the ideal conclusion to present itself. The conclusion has to come from yourself. A formed idea that you know the difference between right an wrong.

Good Day,

You're most likely using the wrong ribbon cable with your hard drive. Change that out with one as the error code indicates, then reboot and see what happens

If it is a 80 conductor (wires) ribbon cable, try unplugging it and reinserting it. Look at the pins on the main board and make sure they aren't bent

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I had a look at this and switched the ribbon cable with the one that came with the Mobo, however I am still having the same problem, along with the same errors. As for any bent pens, there are none on the Mobo or the hard-drive itself. I removed the CMOS battery and let the computer sit for 5 mins, then put the battery back in. Still I get the CMOS error. And still it will make it to the screen where it says "Scan Devices, Please Wait" and will go no farther. Pressing the "Tab" key like it says to get into the user window doesnt work either. I have already checked the keyboard and know it works.

Appreciate all the help I can get!

TheRouter
    Life is like an incessant series of problems, all difficult, with brutal choices, and a time limit. The worst thing you can do is to make no choice, waiting for the ideal conclusion to present itself. The conclusion has to come from yourself. A formed idea that you know the difference between right an wrong.

T3h Ch3F

Greetings

Hey as you are using a Epox Ep, I assume you are running with an AMD processor. As you implied in your original post, you are running an "Older" system. Further details regarding this sys. would be helpful.

I doubt your problems originate from incorrect placement of the ribbon, that would be too easy! lol

More info please.

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

I am running an EPOX EP 8KRAI Pro, with a 1.4ghz Socket A AMD processor. 512meg of ram and the original hard-drive and such. It all worked before I upgraded, so I am not sure what is going on. Originally the reason i bought a new main board is because the old one was going bad. I also got a new processor with it, I am sure that everything is hooked up properly and everything is in good working order.

What do you all think?

The Router

I've tried most of the basic possiblitys in my opinion, i have switched out the memory chip, i have tested the hard drive, and made sure that everything is clean and firmly connected. If i could get into the bios on this machine it would be a great accomplishment. Keep them thoughts and ideas coming.

P.S.

I would like to take a moment to thank everyone who is a member of this forum. Of all of the Tech forums that i have strayed across this is without a doubt the best out there. I truly do appreciate your input, it's not every day that a person such as myself lucks into a group of gurus such as yourselfs. While I understand that i post often with some odd problems, I should let you know that my specialty is and are Routers, hence the name. If anyone has any questions or problems with routers I would be happy to try and help you out.

And as for my problem keep those solutions and thoughts coming!

Thank you so very much,

TheRouter

Hmmmm,

5 minutes may well not be long enough to clear the CMOS memory, due to the capacitors in there. I usually wait 24 hours, and the machine should NOT be connected to the mains supply.

Please check your MoBo manual/diagram...............there are frequently jumpers that you set and reset to clear the CMOS.

However, and please forgive me because this is a bit of a long shot

1.4ghz Socket A AMD processor................................i bought a new main board is because the old one was going bad. I also got a new processor with it
    As you mention, your kit is rather old, but so is the stuff you are using as replacements. My first move would be to check or replace the CMOS battery...............that is NOT a recent MoBo from the sounds of it, and it may not have been stored in ideal conditions?

At this point I would want to rule out an almost flat CMOS battery, as that is a common cause of the "checksum error" message

I'll try that, but would that still make it where the computer will not load into windows? I understand what your saying about the Mobo being and older one, didnt think about that at the time, just ordered it, got and opened it. It was correctly pacakaged and such, inside the unopend static bag.

As for any jumpers, I have already attempted to resest the bios this way. Unfortuanlty I still get he CMOS error. Now this is where i get lost, if the battery was dead would the computer not just sit in the screen and show you the CMOS error the whole time? I however get one strange step beyond that, I get a screen that gives me the version numbers and such of the bios, (viacomm/pheonix.etc.etc) and below that is a prompt telling me "Scan Devices, Please wait" and below that is a flashing prompt that says use the tab key to enter user window or something like that. this is where it stops....This just makes me wonder as to the battery still being good..But i'll check it anyway.

I'll let you know what happens!

TheRouter

Well, what happens when the CMOS battery runs down can be quite unpredictable and will vary from BIOS to BIOS.

If the battery was totally dead the machine might not even boot at all. Some systems don't use the battery for anything more than keeping the real time clock running when the machine is powered down. They will run quite happily with the battery totally dead, you just have to reset the calendar and clock each time you boot.

From what you describe, it sounds as if the BIOS is trying to update itself with your hardware information and cannot quite make it.................it does not even get as far as windows.

If you think of a flashlamp with very run down batteries it will produce light for a few seconds and then dim right down................leave it a few hours and the same will happen again. If your battery is in that sort of condition, and the CMOS/BIOS initially runs from the battery, that would sort of be consistent with what you are experiencing?

If the battery is OK, then that does not sound good, as the symptoms would suggest a damaged MoBo or a corrupted BIOS.

In fact, as it is old stock and has been hanging around for a while, you also have to consider how long the battery was in stock before it was used. Also it may well not be a particularly good quality battery.

That may surprise you, but just consider how many millions of units a MoBo manufacturer makes each year. If they can save 25 cents on the price of a battery...................................? I am sure you remember the "millenium bug"? that was mostly due to using a cheap component that only held a two digit year..................the difference betwen those and a four digit clock was about 50 cents!

I certainly think that replacing the battery is a good starting point

Wow, great way of breaking it down nihil, I currently have the battery setting out of the system and the system is not hooked up no power is running to it. I will let it set 18-24 hours. However, on a couple of different old motherboards, I managed to snag some batterys. Strangely enough neither of the two that i tried gave me any different result. I will check the one that came with the Mobo, then spend a whopping 1.09 on a new battery. Then i will post back with my findings.

I truly hope that the mainboard is not damaged.......

TheRouter