Thread: What's a research project about?

What's a research project about?

hi

Everybody knows that a project in computer science is either a coding one or a research one!

I know that a coding needs us to go thru a software development life cycle, in order to develop a quality output in an efficient manner.

But, what does a research project all about?? what can be done in it? what are the scopes, if u r thru with it?

Also, I have heard about paper works(is that related to research), what is it all about?

How can I start doing on? Do, I need to apply in a corp for being able to do so(sponsorships, u know)!

As a whole, tell me everything about it.

thnx 2 all
    CodeNameVirus

A research project, in its most basic form, is a process that you go through in order to ask a question. You will start out with a question, or an idea, and work from the bottom/base upward, until you have answered your question sufficiently.

I've done a few research projects at my university, and I typically follow these steps:

1) come up with the question
    2) really, really think about the question
    3) find out the possible routes that the question could take
    4) read a ton about those routes
    5) find out what others have written, find books, websites, and people who would understand the topic
    6) gather all of the information, and organize it very clearly
    7) look over the gathered information, and write a layout of the paper you wish to write
    8) write the paper, paying close attention to the expected audience that will read it
    9) find someone (if you haven't already) to publish the paper.

You don't need to be in a corporation, or a school, or anything... you can do it all yourself. It'll take a lot more legwork without funding (for example, instead of being paid the money to take someone out to eat in order to interview them, you may have to come up with your own money, or you may need to find another way to find information out from that person), but it's certainly possible.

I hope this helps, and good luck on your projects.

hi

just the type of person, I would like to talk to(an experienced researcher)

Now, I have some further questions for ya(sorry, if they annoy u )

A research project, in its most basic form, is a process that you go through in order to ask a question. You will start out with a question, or an idea, and work from the bottom/base upward, until you have answered your question sufficiently.
    Got the basic idea........come up with a question. I think this is one of the biggest challenge itself, coming up with a question that's unique, a bit significant(acc.ing to the present world).
    So, if u can tell me some archive, where I can get some ideas from or a group working already on one or some questions that still need to be answered, etc. I hope u got my point. If no, the question in simple words is how can I find a question to work on!!

I know the obvious facts, the question must belong to a field of my interest, the goal must be clear, the audience must be decided, etc.

Other than the above, what suggestions would u give for a succesful research. Is there, any protocol researchers follow? like a model or roadmap or something??

Also, should a question be about something which hasnt been done before or can it be an extension of something or a question on a subkect already been worked on?

Now, lets work on the steps u told me:

1) come up with the question
    2) really, really think about the question
    I already asked u abt it!
    I think the step 2 belong to the same category as the first one i.e. Coming up with a question and realising what the question is? right?

3) find out the possible routes that the question could take
    4) read a ton about those routes
    5) find out what others have written, find books, websites, and people who would understand the topic
    6) gather all of the information, and organize it very clearly
    7) look over the gathered information, and write a layout of the paper you wish to write
    8) write the paper, paying close attention to the expected audience that will read it
    This work I know is a must and it requires a lot of devotion and time, and I am willing to do it!

As for the paper, give some more details like what must be present in the paper? how long the paper must go? Is there, a specific layout(like when writing a CV)? how the paper must be changed according to the audience? Also, can a paper be somewhat like a small book?

And, if I use some details from other books, articles, etc will I need to get permission from the related author?

9) find someone (if you haven't already) to publish the paper.
    Publisher is not a problem. But, at what scale should the paper be released?

Do papers generally get recognised like books do? Do I need to get some feebacks, first? And, if the result is good, how can I bring it into knowledge of people?

You don't need to be in a corporation, or a school, or anything... you can do it all yourself.
    However, is there a way of getting affiliated to one and get some sponsorships?

It'll take a lot more legwork without funding (for example, instead of being paid the money to take someone out to eat in order to interview them, you may have to come up with your own money, or you may need to find another way to find information out from that person), but it's certainly possible.
    Ya, I know funds play an important role.

I dont have any projects at the moment, I am just planning to do one. And, I dont know which direction to go at the moment!

I am in hunt of group or people who are also on the same side, either doing a research at the moment or are willing to start one. I would luv to be a part of one.

So, if u get to know some, do tell me.

Thnx a lot for ur help
    CodeNameVirus

Hi, codename~ ,

jehnx has given you some good ideas there! I will attempt to add a little, bearing in mind that we will both use English somewhat differently.

Everybody knows that a project in computer science is either a coding one or a research one!
    Actually, all projects involve research in some form or another. Even if that it is only deep thought on your part.

"Coding" is actually trivial, the core of the project is in the design and development. Just look at any of the full lifecycle development models................you will see that the coding is a minor element, that occurs towards the end of the cycle.

Think of the physical sciences. A researcher starts with a question, or possibly a phenomenon. They then formulate hypotheses (theories) and build and conduct experiments to test these hypotheses. Whilst using valid experiments is important, they are not important of themselves, it is their correct conduct and interpretation of their results that are crucial to the project.

IT projects are very similar. We generally start with a question or a requirement . In either case, the majority of the work lies in succinctly defining what the project objectives are. This is very clearly demonstrated in all the lifecycle models.

If this is not addressed at the outset, you will run into what we project management types call "scope creep" and you will certainly overrun on both time and budget. Believe me, academic institutions and project sponsors do not like that

So, with a development project you clearly define the scope and objectives in the beginning. A useful tool in this area is "critical success factor analysis" . That tells you what absolutely MUST happen for the project to be considered a success.

The same is true of academic (theoretical) projects (I think that these are your "research projects"?), you must clearly define what is to be included, and very often what is not.

If you browse through research papers you will see these definitions in the introduction or preamble. Hey, you even see it in tutorials on this site

In general, development projects have a known outcome if they are conducted properly. You have a desired product at the end, against which your performance can be measured. You know your capabilities and limitations, and do not take on "mission impossible"

I think that this is the major difference with an academic or investigative project. Here you have questions, but no desired answer. You are attempting to objectively determine the facts?

Your logic is that you have a hypothesis and an antithesis; for example:

h1: "A" is true.
    h0: "A" is not true.

Success does not depend on which one is correct, only upon getting the right answer, and being able to demonstrate this fact

Even "they are both right sometimes" is an acceptable conclusion if you can demonstrate the circumstances.

Just some food for thought.....................

Hi

A few good points have already been mentioned. I'd like to write
    about the specifics - in particular about scientific / academic
    research papers.

publishers

There are tons of publishers (elsevier, springer, acm, ...), which
    publish journals like nature, science and many other journals,
    mostly unknown to the "public". A journal is a collection of research
    papers. Note: do not print your own book/journals and hope you can sell
    them - use existing publishers and their marketing channels.

Usually, there are two kind of journals: reviewed ones and not reviewed
    ones. Reviewed means that in these journals researchers are assigned to
    review papers prior to its publication - unfortunately, it can take you
    easily half a year or even a year to get your paper accepted.

Now, the system is quite awkward: Bastards like Elsevier charge researchers
    for publishing their paper, and charge again, usually the very same researchers,
    for the actual journals...that's why open access[1] has become popular -
    nowaday 380'000 papers ("e-prints") are online freely available[2].

Have a look at them - you will see that they usually follow a strict
    guideline:

publications

Publications have to meet several formal criteria[3] in order to get into
    the process of being accepted for publishing.

1. Layout. Each publisher has a well defined layout for their papers, e.g.[4].
    Often, papers are written in LaTex[5] - so, if you don't now it, get familiar
    to it.

2. ToC. Each reader of a research paper expects a certain ToC: abstract,
    introduction/motivation, specific theory, method/approach, results, conclusion,
    appendices, bibliography.

funding?

Even if you are not in a position to get financial support from a company/academic
    institution (ie. you have a job there), there are ways to get support:
    there are funded projects/competitions etc. out there, e.g.[6]. Usually, the
    money is not exciting, but you get into contact with people - and if your
    work is outstanding, opportunities will follow.

your questions

So, if u can tell me some archive,
    Check link [2] as a starting point, or [7] and links therein.

Is there, any protocol researchers follow? like a model or roadmap or something??
    Check the links [3] and [4].

Also, should a question be about something which hasnt been done before or can it be an extension of

something or a question on a subkect already been worked on?
    99.9% of research papers out there are extensions or improvements of something
    that has been done before

As for the paper, give some more details like what must be present in the paper? how long the paper must go?

Is there, a specific layout(like when writing a CV)? how the paper must be changed according to the audience?

Also, can a paper be somewhat like a small book?
    As said, there are strict guidelines for papers - theses guidelines however depend
    on the publisher. Typical length of papers are 4 pagers up to 30 pages, depends on
    the journal. In very rare cases, even papers with length 100 pages get accepted.

And, if I use some details from other books, articles, etc will I need to get permission from the related

author?
    That's what the "bibliography" is for - citations!

citations are the green dots of researchers!

You don't need a permission - just put in a reference to their work.

Publisher is not a problem. But, at what scale should the paper be released?

Do papers generally get recognised like books do? Do I need to get some feebacks, first? And, if the result is good, how can I bring it into knowledge of people?
    As said: do not publish yourself - otherwise people will never be aware of your work.
    Don't just put it on your webpage - people will never look at it.
    Papers are completely different to book! If you are publishing in a reviewed journal,
    you will get feedback - prepare for harsh criticism.

However, is there a way of getting affiliated to one and get some sponsorships?
    I have given you an example - keep you eyes open - and contact large companies, or
    even university: ask IBM, Microsoft, Intel, Nestle, Novartis, Dupont, etc.etc. -
    and make sure you contact the right person.

Good luck.

Cheers

[1] http://www.soros.org/openaccess/index.shtml
    [2] http://arxiv.org/
    [3] http://www.acm.org/pubs/newjournals/
    [4] http://authors.elsevier.com/GuideFor...=505622&dc=GFA
    [5a] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX
    [5b] http://www.miktex.org/
    [6] http://www.acm.org/src/
    [7] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

tons of thnx to all u guys.

u gave me a real direction.

I think we can close the thread now, unless some more people want to write some interesting facts......
    CodeNameVirus

hey, i would like to deter from my last. Actually, I would like people to further provide information on this topic.

Also, plz specify some hot topics on information security and networking!!
    CodeNameVirus

Hi, codenamevirus , I don't think that the thread was about to be closed, although your statement of satisfaction was appreciated. This could be useful to our student members so should be left open IMO.

Hot topics?............. well that would depend on your angle of approach?

I would suggest that it is time to go back to basics and consider the obvious........... particularly that which does not depend on current state of the art technology.

The "User Factor" (social engineering, training, awareness?), physical security scenarios, the external security auditors.............. regulatory compliance, and so on.

There is also the change in malware objectives and vectors. It is becoming more fraud orientated by the minute..............

On some fronts there is the privacy/constitution versus the need for national security?

Please check out this current (unrelated) thread for some practical ideas:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=276140

Cheers,

Johnno

hi nihil,

got thru the thread u mentioned. I understand it was about how to increase the security in the networks both internal n external/physical(tell me, if I missed something)

Now, since the main topic has been selected i.e. information security. Can u give some more insight about how can we actually get started.

I already have a team 5-7 members with me and we all want to start it out, but we are not able to understand where to start from.

I understand the steps that have been mentioned earlier in the thread, like come up with a question, etc. but I think we cant come up with a question just like that!

We need some direction, at present, I have talked to some of the higher institutions but no answer, yet about the mentoring things, etc.

Eventhough, sec_ware mentioned in his thread about contacting org.s like MS, IBM, etc but finding a person of contact is another problem.

So, if anyone of u guys can come with some links, thru which we can contact people and talk about our objectives, it'll be very much appreciated.

Thnx
    CodeNameVirus

hi all

I have started a thread here

which is somewhat related to security, plz give ur suggestions there abt what u think?
    CodeNameVirus