Thread: VMPlayer

VMPlayer

hope i have the right forum

i have a duel booting pc xp home and knoppix
    i recently found an app which mounts ext3 files so now i can see all my knoppix files

i have vmplayer and vmbuilder and have got various isos to run in xp
    what i want to know is there a way to use vmplayer to run knoppix in a virtual session?

anyone got any ideas

cheer
    like life, this is a test

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I may be missing something here BUT

isn't Knoppix ran from the CD ?

why do you need / want to run it via VM ??
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Antionline Herpetologist
    Foxey,
    Knoppix can be installed to hard disk if desired, just like any other Linux.

Yellowcat,
    There definitely used to be a way to do it in the 3.x days. However, I can't find it in the documentation for VMWare 5.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

i only have vmplayer
    i thought that i could set it up to use the vmlinux image (or something like that) and that would then allow it to run linux inside windoz

Do you want to run the existing installed copy of Knoppix on the ext3 partition? I think that can only be done with the corporate version (VMware Workstation).

If you want to install a fresh copy of Knoppix on a VM and run it with VMware, you can either use VMware Player and this tutorial, or VMware Server (which I haven't had much luck with, to be honest).

Cheers,

-jk

Originally posted here by J_K9
    Do you want to run the existing installed copy of Knoppix on the ext3 partition? I think that can only be done with the corporate version (VMware Workstation).

If you want to install a fresh copy of Knoppix on a VM and run it with VMware, you can either use VMware Player and this tutorial, or VMware Server (which I haven't had much luck with, to be honest).

Cheers,

-jk
    Hey Hey,

VMware Workstation will definately allow you to boot a physical disk.. VMWare server will also allow you to do this...

I believe it's only with VMWare Player that you'd have to install a knoppix over again.

J_K9: What problems have you had with VMWare Server? I've got it running on my laptop and on this desktop and both instances work beautifully... In fact I've got it configured so I can come in to it from outside the firewall and use the VMs... the client is quite fast and movement in the VMs is faster than VNC and perhaps similar to say Remote Desktop. I was surprised by how much easier the install was than Workstation 4 (which is what I've got a license for).

Peace,
    HT

It is certainly possible to run knoppix in a vmware session.
    I'm doing it at this moment. However, I'm using vmware server. (vmware server is now free)

I create vmware sessions with the server version and play them on other machines using vmware player.

Or, you can download a live cd virtual appliance from vmware.
    http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/284
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

thing is i have knoppix on my hard disk
    i was hoping to use vmplayer to access my knoppix files and use them to run a virtual session
    i understand about editing the .vmx files as i have done this to play with various live cd iso images

but i would like to use vmplayer with my knoppix files which are on the HD but i do not know if i can or how to do it

You can have the virtual session mount a real hard drive. Either the whole drive, or only specific partitions. See attached screenshots. Again, I'm using vmware server to edit my virtual hardware/session.

Or, what if you were to setup your host as a file server and just mount the smbfs share?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.