Thread: The Spycar Project

The Spycar Project

For those of you, who are interested to see if the Antispyware Application you use, is working...

What is Spycar?
    Spycar is a suite of tools designed to mimic spyware-like behavior, but in a benign form. Intelguardians created Spycar so anyone could test the behavior-based defenses of an anti-spyware tool. Spycar runs only on Windows, the same platform most targeted by spyware developers.

Why did you create Spycar?
    Many anti-spyware tools put all of their eggs in the signature basket. That is, the vendor detects spyware by including thousands of signatures looking for specific sequences of bits on your hard drive or in memory. Behavior-based detection, another approach, lets anti-spyware stop malicious software based on its actions, not a specific set of signatures. We wanted to see how anti-spyware tools could cope with new spyware for which they didn’t have a signature. In our own laboratory, we tested a bunch of enterprise anti-spyware tools, and found that their behavior-based defenses were seriously lacking. As long as no signature has been defined for a given piece of spyware, a lot of anti-spyware tools offer virtually no protection. We wanted to give you a chance to evaluate your own anti-spyware tool, so we released Spycar.
    Spycar test
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Googd info thanks!
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

nihil is not going to like this. Ewido failed miserably against the spycar tests.

//me going to the internet looking for a new freebie anti-spyware.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Good link Dalek I bookmarked it.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

wow

Just curious anything hold up against this yet (spycar)?

Well, I just put Windows Defender on and ran SpyCar against it. Yes, it does what it is supposed to do. It holds the activity until you get a chance to approve or disapprove it. The trick is testing the IE stuff. I'm having problems since the Black Tuesday patch getting IE to go anywhere reliably. I may have to get the IE7 beta.

thanks rapier57, i'll try that

Hi Rapier57 ,

I haven't tested them all yet. Ewido killed the first two...........try this:

http://winpooch.free.fr/home/index.php

Winpooch is a free, open source application...............it nailed the second two

I will test the rest later. Please remember that you need to have the interactive EWIDO running...........it is an orange icon in the system tray. Once the trial is over, EWIDO reverts to an on demand scanner only.

So far nothing has got through to WinPatrol, RegistryProt, SpyDefense, Spyware Blaster etc.

I will report the full results later.............got to go to my cactus society meeting

OK, I tried to run them all.

EWIDO is "aware" of Spycar, and reports it as "not a virus".............it prevented the tests running, with the exceptions of the ones you had to create a test profile for, and those were killed by WinPooch.

EWIDO stuck the tests into quarantine, and Spycar did not even know that I had run them It did detect that WinPooch had blocked the 4 it dealt with.

Nothing got through.........................