Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norton Internet security problem

I have uninstalled Norton Internet security now. The program works on all the other computers which is why I can't understand they won't work properly on my other computer. Does anyone know what C: debugLOGLOG means?

Originally posted here by Ironside
    I have uninstalled Norton Internet security now. The program works on all the other computers which is why I can't understand they won't work properly on my other computer. Does anyone know what C: debugLOGLOG means?
    SUMMARY
    The File Replication service (FRS) is a multi-threaded, multi-master replication engine that replaces the Lmrepl service in the 3.x and 4.0 versions of Microsoft Windows NT. Microsoft Windows 2000-based domain controllers and servers use FRS to replicate system policy and logon scripts that reside in the System Volume (SYSVOL) for Windows 2000-based clients and earlier.

FRS can also replicate files and directories between Windows 2000-based servers that are members of the same fault-tolerant Distributed File System (DFS) root or link replicas.

FRS initiates replication on "closed" files in directory trees in which replication has been enabled. Events that can trigger replication include the creation or deletion of a file, a version change to an existing file, or the resetting of permissions on a file or directory. This article describes the symptoms that occur when some antivirus programs that are not FRS-compliant perform virus scans on directories that host FRS-replicated files. Additional symptoms include: • Files in SYSVOL and DFS shares are replicated excessively with no apparent change to the files in those replica sets.
    • Files may replicate at off-peak hours, or at regularly occurring times if virus scans are scheduled to occur at specific times, or during periods of low server utilization.
    • The number of files in the staging directory constantly grows, perhaps emptying sometime after the virus scan program completes, or after the FRS schedule opens to allow replication.
    • The number of files in the staging directory constantly grows but never empties if changes to downstream partners cannot be replicated either because of network connectivity or an inability to process the number of modified files needing replication.
    • Network traffic between replication partners is consuming excessive network bandwidth and FRS is determined to be the responsible service.
    One program that is known to reset security descriptors during virus scan is Norton AntiVirus (NAV) versions 7.0 and 7.5. Other virus checking programs that modify security descriptors during virus scans will result in the same symptoms.
    MS Article

Bottom line...rid yourself of Norton, and all will be well with the world..(there are free alternatives)

Troubleshooting Errors

Luck..
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Even thuogh it wasnt my question...but...Thanks a lot for the info....UH dunno man what I am typing down...its late night for me...felling sleepy!!!
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

I think I may have found what the problem is. I was still getting c :/debuglog.log come up even with Internet security not installed. I even reformatted the computer again but it still the. I then disabled script debugging in Internet Explorer 6 and it seemed to sort the problem out. Fingers crossed

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Ironside,
    I searched high and low for a solution to your problem. The only place I could find any advice was at annoyances.org
    Disabling RCman in the "startup" tab on msconfig eliminates the problem. Good luck
    This seemed to work for the person who was having the problem. Just to be safe, I also checked out what rcman.exe was:
    rcman.exe is a process associated with the Audigy Platinum card drivers from Creative. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems
    (from WinTasks Process Librabry)
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Originally posted here by Ironside
    I think I may have found what the problem is. I was still getting c :/debuglog.log come up even with Internet security not installed. I even reformatted the computer again but it still the. I then disabled script debugging in Internet Explorer 6 and it seemed to sort the problem out. Fingers crossed
    That is more then likely the correct action to take for this one:

The problem was being caused by Internet Explorer 6. With automatic script
    debugging enabled, it would try to log it's actions and get locked into a
    loop causing it to cease responding and lock everything up during shutdown.

The solution was to disable automatic script debugging. There has been no
    noticeable effect upon my web browsing after having done this.

Source

Should be okay...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson