• ZERO11

0 0%
  • ONES00

0 0%

Thread: Fan Stopping Then Starting, Then Repeating

Banned

Talking Fan Stopping Then Starting, Then Repeating

Howdy.

The fan that is cooling my processor, well on cold start up's, like if i turn the machine off overnight, well when i turn it back on in the morning, etc i've noticed that the fan will start spinning then stop for a few seconds, then start spinning again. This repeats a few times then just starts spinning normally.

It doesn't make any weird noises, it doesn't speed up to a really fast speed, it just idles along at its regular speed.

It only seems to happen after a cold boot up, then computer boots up normally when this happens and doesn't go all strange or anything.

So anyhow does this mean that the fan is on it's way out? Or is it because it doesn't like the cold starts in the morning.?

Oh and i put the poll in because i thought it would be fun.

cheers
    acidtone..

Hi, acid~ I presume that you have tried cleaning it? the fan should detatch from the heatsink to allow this.

I have come across this sort of behaviour with fancy fan/MoBo combinations that allow you to set the fan speed according to the CPU temperature. It is obviously a lot colder over here, so in the morning the machine starts up and the sensor tells it that it is too cold for the fan to be on, so it switches it off.............it can recycle through this several times until the processor gets to the always on temperature. How many seconds does this take place over?

Check your MoBo manual and management module and look at you PC Health settings.

If it is a fixed speed fan, it is probably dirty or it is on the way out. This would be particularly likely with a fan that has nylon bushes as opposed to bearings. That looks like an Intel stock fan to me so it probably has bushes.

You can probably continue to use it quite safely, but I would recommend lowering your temeperature shutdown threshold

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    You can probably continue to use it quite safely, but I would recommend lowering your temeperature shutdown threshold
    And I'd recommend buying a spare fan
    cos you just KNOW it's gonns fail now

I tend to buy several of everything I do buy
    to build up a spares stockpile, and because I do have a tendancy to NEED those spares PDQ
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

hi
    to buy a new fan or risk processor its a question now.
    For me its not the question.Its not great expence to buy a new fan.Poll is funny way of presenting it, we can bet on fail or not.

we have saying its better to pay a prostitute, then prostitute and the doctor.

to buy a new fan or risk processor its a question now.
    That is not strictly true. These days motherboards and processors have thermal cut-outs to protect themselves. This has been true of Intel Pentium 4 processors for some time now.

I think that the real point was made by foxyloxley ................ you know it is likely to fail, so make sure that you have a replacement ready because it is bound to happen when you really need your computer

Banned
    well i did reset the shut down temp settings in the BIOS.

The fan did stop working completely the other day actually, while i was out side mowing the lawns.
    Luckily i had set the auto shutdown option, other wise the ol girl would of kept trying to chug along while getting an expensive tan..

Anyhow replaced the fan and now i think the PSU is on it's way out, she's letting off a funky smell from that region..

gotta get some time off to actually get into a store to get a new one ordered in. I don't trust those generic psu's as far as i can kick 'em..

cheers
    acidtone..

The fan did stop working completely the other day actually, while i was out side mowing the lawns.
    You were doing what!? ............ might I suggest that you get married mate? she will have plenty of time for those tasks before and after work

Don't worry cobber, it's a long swim to get to me.............even for a great white

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Nihil, are you suggesting that he is gonna mow the lawn less when he is married? or more?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted