Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AntiViews - Irongeek

Banned

AntiViews - Irongeek

Irongeek's Antionline profile

Name: Adrian Crenshaw (Yep, dropping my docs all over the place)

Place and date of Birth (or age): Louisville, Ky, 31 (damn I feel old)

Current place of residence: New Albany, Indiana

Marital status: Single [know any geek girls in the area ]

AO: How did you get into computers?

Irongeek: I had an old 8086 when I was a kid and did a little programming. When I started to go to school for electronics I decided I liked computers better so I went for a BS in Comp Sci at a local university.

AO: What is your area of specialty?

Irongeek: I'm sort of a jack of all trades. I don't know a lot about anything, but I know a little about a lot of things. I dig computers security so when I have the free time that is what I research. When I start to learn something new I write tutorials and articles as notes for myself and others who might be interested. I then post the articles here and on my site ( http://www.irongeek.com )

AO: What do you do for a living?

Irongeek: Computer support for a local library and a little side work.

AO: How did you get into your career?

Irongeek: I was going to school at the university and decided to get a job in one of the computer labs. That lead to my job in the library.

AO: Describe your education and/or training?

Irongeek: I have a BS in Computer Science and a bunch of certs that don't mean **** (CNE 5, CNA 3.1x, CNA 4.11, CNA 5, MCP, MCP+Internet, Network+, A+, I-Net+, Server+, MCSE and MCSE+Internet). Most of the useful knowledge I have I've picked up from others or got from reading books. One of the nice things about working for a library is that they order just about any book I want. I also have an AS in electronics.

AO: Do you plan on staying where you are (career-wise) or are you still in school / working on certs to get into another area?

Irongeek: I will most likely be here for awhile. I'm too used to the slack a university provides, I'm institutionalized if you will. I may go for some other certs when someone else pays for them.

AO: What one piece of advice would you offer to others who may be interested in following a career path or educational path similar to yours?

Irongeek: I'm not sure many would want to follow my career path. Just read about and do what you like.

AO: What skill do you think is invaluable in your area of specialty?

Irongeek: My ability to read an instruction manual and search Google. Most problems can be solved with those two simple skills and some time.

AO: Describe one of your best / most effective security practices.

Irongeek:
    1. Update, update, update.
    2. Know what you are about to run on your box.
    3. Don't run anything you don't need on your box.
    4. Know what is running on your box.
    5. Keep up to date on the latest exploits.

AO: Do you have a little-known fact about yourself (personal, hobbies, tech-related) that you would be willing to share?

Irongeek: I love zombie films, don't ask why. I collect energy drink cans, stuffed animals (penguins and H.P. Lovecraft based monsters mostly) and swords.

AO: How did you find Antionline?

Irongeek: Just did a web search for a good security forum, this one seemed like the best.

AO: Anything else you'd like to share?

Irongeek: A pitcher of Guinness if any of you are in the area.

isnt it strange..one studies so much and still the useful knowledge comes from somewhere else

zombie films? bet you'r into rock (gothic).

and one more thing, be careful when you come to UK (you collect swords)
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Hey Hey,

Energy Drink Cans eh...

I've got a "Power Up" Energy Drink can that I keep on my desk.. It's got Mario (From Super Mario Bros.) on it with a mushroom.. My girlfriend has a couple Happy Bunny energy drink cans... Next for me is a Stewie (from Family Guy) can.

That's pretty cool though.

Peace,
    HT

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Hmmmm, I keep real playing chips from Vegas on my desk along with dice, a metal tip dart but no energy drink cans. I'm old skoolz, even older than Iron. To me, the only energy drink on the planet is Mountain Dew. Old BOFHs will understand the reference. LOL.

Nice antiview.

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Re: AntiViews - Irongeek

I love zombie films....stuffed animals (... H.P. Lovecraft based monsters mostly) and swords.
    zombie + Lovecraft (stuffed!!) + swords!!

Oh man. Did anyone notice some trouble here?

p.s. btw, where did you get Lovecraft stuffed animals????
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Hmm I was looking forward to this anti-view, well to all of them. Its nice to get to know the "famous" people around here. You get to know the person behind the handle a bit.
    Can you do one on Skiddieleet/zerocool or what name he goes here ?
    [T]he future is now.

Zombie movies and Energy Drinks and stuffed Penguins... Wow no wonder we get along.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Thanks guys.

For the Lovecraft toys check out the company that makes them:
    http://toyvault.com/cthulhu/index.html

You can fin the cheapest prices with Froogle.

Irongeek, you're my neighbor...kinda. I live in Shelbyville and work in Louisville. I have downloaded several of your tutorials from your website. They are great!

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Cool. You should check out http://HackLouisville.com then.