Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows service pack 3?

windows service pack 3?

there's been news about windows having another service pack for XP. "service pack 3"

anybody tried it.

the reason i am asking is because it didnt come up with windows update. was just looking for windows service packs and it came up. and its all over google. but no info on the microsoft site.

just thought that i'd ask here before i try and download and install it

cheers
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Banned
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lif...vicepacks.mspx
    SP3 for Windows XP Professional is currently planned for 2H 2007. This date is preliminary.

alright then,

i did a little more search on it...

seems that it is a preview pack available here and news from microsoft is here , where microsoft comments on it. where it claims that there are some hotfixes available which could "harm" the comp but claims to have released the service pack preview.

so does the service pack preview still has some hotfixes or is it only some screen shots and a text file of what all it does?

Just Another Geek
    I for one would never ever install a patch that didn't come from the manufacturer's website.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

but what exactly is a "service pack preview" anyway?

how do you preview it?

from what i know is "preview" is showing what will happen after we have installed it. that would mean that it would still have some fixes. how else can they show what it contains or does?

If your wanting to travell that path..would it not be as good to just use a tool like Autopatcher also not approved by MS.. it at least has regular "Current Versions"
    Advantage.. not tying up bandwidth on repiticious downloads. No long time waits
    Disadvantage.. not MS approved, Prone to breakages (but then as are some of MS updates)

My admission with autopatcher I have had 1 in 20 fail where I would say a 1 in 200 -300 on MS updates .. but as the drives are imaged before autopatch the lost time is low but ten there is the long wait for the MS Download.. for me the time involved is the key factor.. IF Ms were to release something similar to Autopatcher.. people like myself would go to them rather than a third party..

Auto patcher and the like are popular with the WGA runners...
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    Advantage.. not tying up bandwidth on repiticious downloads. No long time waits
    WSUS?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

YEs WSUS is good for a network.. but for service organisations.????
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    SP3 has just had it's name confirmed

VISTA
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Well,

All it appears to be is a cumulative collection of hotfixes to date...............or to a date (April 2006)?

It looks as if MS are going to issue the "final" service pack for XP in the middle of 2007? That will doubtless have more "patch thursday" offerings included in it.

The guy on the site was pretty upfront about it was he not?

In conclusion: If your copy of Windows is legit and genuine, I see absolutely no reason for downloading this package.
    I guess you should already have got them through the regular update process?