Thread: Login Scripts

Login Scripts

Hey all,

Does anyone know if when a user logs into a domain, and a login script executes, if there is a copy cached locally?

For instance, If I log into my domain I authenticate to my Domain Controller, then a login.bat script executes that maps drives, printers and so on. Is there anyplace that the client computer stores the script that it can be recovered from? Temp file or anything?

My initial answer to this was no, because the script is stored on the server and the commands in the script are just executed suring logon, logoff. Just figured I would ask to see if anyone knows.
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

You can specify where the login script lives so it is very possible that you are executing a login script from your local machine.

But, let's assume that the login script is located on *sysvol* of a domain controller, which is usually how it is configured. You will not be able to find a copy of the script in a cache or temp folder like you would with cachable internet content. But I do have to ask why you need to look for a copy on the local machine? Domain login scripts run under the context of the user that is logging in. So at a minimum you need to have execute permissions on the script. If you can execute a file you can read it, so if you want to see what is in the login script, just look at the location where it is stored, and you have to be able to read it, else it will not run.

If you want to do something on a machine that the general user cannot see, or have permissions to do, you have to use startup scripts.

But I do have to ask why you need to look for a copy on the local machine?
    I was just curious to see if any caching happens, I know that the script is read across the network and executed on the local machine, just wondering if those script command are stored locally for any reason.

Just had to much coffee this morning and have a lot of what if stuff going on in my head..lol

Thanks for the info :-)
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos