Thread: Microsoft Vista...please discuss

Microsoft Vista...please discuss

Hi there,

Whilst reading a job application for an IT position at an organic food company, they gave a couple of questions to see how you would implement something, and I came across microsoft Vista, the new widows version. Now I have just read a whole bunch of the Wiki entry on it.

I am not trying to get you lot towrite my CV for me guys, I will have read it and sent it off by the time I get back from work today.

But in general, please discuss... They seem to be focussing on security a lot, but, I kinda have a take of it on my own.

It seems that microsoft products get attacked for a few reasons; it is the most common and abundant operating system out there at the moment, some peeps don't seem to like the capitalist thing, (some people don't like Bill Gates - though to make that sort of a judgement on someones success seems to me to be a little misplaced, I don't know the guy, but boy has he acheived a lot) and then there is the abundance thing, build more roads, and get more cars and potholes.

I'm interested...
    Gotta go, the Pussy cat dolls are taking their clothes off on the telly...... I have to stop them making too much of a mess.

Frodern Technology Jonny
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Microsofts vulnerabilies have more to do with the piss poor code that is produced in Redmond then the motivations of others. Sure they are discovered in a more timely manner because people have various motivations as 90% or so of all computers run some version of windows. If you were designing a "widget" wouldnt you make it for windows instead of say NetBSD?

Hmmm,

1. If you are talking an implementation, you are talking a project so you need to talk project management. Look at the PRINCE2 and SSADM methodologies (this is a UK question folks). Learn what "full lifecycle" means in terms of a project.

2. If you are talking security then you are talking (a) a security model, (b) a security policy, (c) security processes. These must be understood, agreed and adhered to by ALL concerned

3. No individual should have any more or less that the minimum required to perform their allotted function within the business.

4. IT security must interleave with other security processes and procedures such as physical and financial.

5. Microsoft products are attacked more regularly because they are by far and above the most common in the marketplace.

6. Given the laws of statistics, a normal population distribution and #5 above, it stands to reason that there are more incompetents using MS at any one time, so they make a better target. Similarly, there are more competent professionals in the marketplace than for other systems.

7. DO NOT say that Microsoft produce "piss poor code". That would merely display your ignorance. Microsoft's problems have been an outdated development model and design processes. This has been admitted to by their senior management, who claim to have addressed the issue. [Whether that is true, is yet to be seen ]

If you don't believe this, just look at the last 50 MS vulnerabilities and tell me where they were the result of CODING INADEQUACIES ...........................

NEVER indulge in product bashing in a job application.............you won't even get an interview I am sure that you are aware of the saying: "it is a poor workman who blames his tools".

Good luck

AOs Resident Troll
    NEVER indulge in product bashing in a job application.............you won't even get an interview I am sure that you are aware of the saying: "it is a poor workman who blames his tools".
    Well said Nihil

Net2Infinity

If the code is so "piss poor" why do 90% of the worlds computers run windows???

They do have a choice...there are several other OSes to choose from

From what I hear...(from business)...its too hard to get GOOD support...and very expensive. One of the colleges out here recently migrated their network from Novell to MS due to the fact there was no good local support...and they even have a computer science course....they couldnt even train someone to do it ....

I think it all has to do with usability, functionality.....and support

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I think it all has to do with usability, functionality .....and support
    I understand its still only beta...but...

Ive been testing the vista beas as they are released, and when it comes to functionality, and useability IMHO vista is worse then there other products... it just seems non-intuitive, to me.
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

Hmmmm,

it just seems non-intuitive, to me.
    1. Since when were OSes supposed to be intuitive?
    2. Aren't Microsoft constantly being criticised for "dumbing down" their OSes?

Anyway, usability is mainly the GUI that the end user (the vast majority) is interested in. They really don't give a damn about security..............they just want to get on and do their jobs?

A) Does it work?
    B) Is it reliable?
    C) Is it affordable?
    D) Is it compatible?
    E) Is it implementable?
    F) Is it supportable?

Let's face it, most users in the World just show up, log in, pull up their applications and get on with their jobs. They actually interact with the operating system very little.

Just my thoughts

Their lack of lifecycle management makes the code piss poor, but you are right that is more of an opinion then stated fact. However, the large number of patches and security exploits speak for themselves. The reason that 90% of all computer run Windows is due to the fact that is the OS that is loaded on them when they are purchased and the majority of users think that is the only OS there is. I am glad that Microsoft is using the model that they always have been as it provides me a steady stream of revenue from clients.

AOs Resident Troll
    However, the large number of patches and security exploits speak for themselves
    and there are no patches out there for other OSes\software\hardware???

at least they patch it and support it IM everso HO.....

I love the MS KB and newsgroups....I can usually resolve most issues through those 2 valuable resources...or else I make the call....and they will reverse the charges if you can prove it is a problem due to a bug....out of the 10 or so support calls I have made to MS....I only had to pay for 2...and that was to recover exchange servers...the beast from hell

and they work with you until the issue is resolved....and I like that...makes my job easier...less stressful when I know that they are trying and very willing to help me resolve the issue.

All comes down to.......... .you get what you pay for.

I am glad that Microsoft is using the model that they always have been as it provides me a steady stream of revenue from clients.
    me too...it provides me with my steady supply of wine

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer