Thread: Sites Blocked

Sites Blocked

Guys .. my college has blocked a few sites such as orkut.com .. is there any way to go past their blocking of the site???
    The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones that do.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=767

Greeting's

You are an old member, hence you should know the answer

TALK TO YOUR NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

NO they don't want us to access it..... And hence the ban coz the coll thinks we are wasting time in orkut chattin and all.. so thats y i am asking
    The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones that do.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=767

Greeting's

NO they don't want us to access it..... And hence the ban coz the coll thinks we are wasting time in orkut chattin and all.. so thats y i am asking
    Just delete the thread.. No one will tell you how to access these "BLOCKED" site's. They are blocked for a reason and you know it.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

OK, so what is the full story or situation here?

1. The college is blocking connections to certain sites? Is this on their equipment, and their network ................. also is it during college open (for study) times?

If it is their equipment and network, then they are perfectly entitled to do so, and it probably represents a sound security policy. If you are residential and it is after hours you may be able to negotiate some cut off point? I would prefer to set up a separate network facility myself

Please remember that the college provides these services PRIMARILY for the furtherance of education, not for people to p1$$ about.

2. Is it only "chat" sites that are blocked? I can well understand P2P being blocked as well. The college has to pay for its bandwidth, which is intended for educational purposes and is probably inadequate at best.

Also, if dorks are swapping illegal files they are putting the college in a potentially damaging legal and financial position.

A further consideration in an educational environment, is that somebody is paying for it? Now, I don't care whether that is the parents or the taxpayer, neither are going to be best pleased at shelling out lakhs of rupees for substandard performances because the students were allowed to chat, game, pr0n browse or whatever.

The College Administration are well aware of this political angle...............their jobs, cars, pensions, houses etc. depend upon it? So at least accept that they want to be "seen" to be doing the "right thing". The problem is that they may not be able to do this in such a way as to optimise the requirements of all parties concerned................. due to a combination of lack of resources and funds

OK..................what can you do?

1. Something illicit that will potentially get you kicked out?
    2. Make your own private arrangements?
    3. Investigate, collate, and negotiate?

For example, it would not be rocket science to grant individuals "earned benefits" would it not? Sure you might "trade" these............ but would you?

Yes, I could give you some answers, but as Byte~ correctly predicted, I shall not.

Not for any "anally retentive, fascist, megalomaniac reason"; but because I simply do not know what you are up against and so I will not get you into trouble. Please consider that comment very carefully, as there are those who will advise you.........what are they thinking?

"Poor little spoilt Indian rich kid ha! ha!............let's screw him up"............. there ARE people like that around.

Be careful!

M3mph15,

Is orkut really worth to risk an ejection or a warning from your college?

Can you spend Rs. 10 per hour in a net cafe?

Get your education, get a good job and do whatever you want on your terms.

Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Guys .. my college has blocked a few sites sucks as orkut.com .. is there any way to go past their blocking of the site???
    Normally I wouldnt assist with an issue like this, but if you use a proxy server from http://www.cgi-proxy.net/ and enter the website from that site (thats filtered) then you should be able to view the website with no promblems.

However, all 'session cookies and persistent cookies,' will still be stored on the server. Thats why I recommend disabling cookies in your web browser before even using a proxy server.

Again, keep in mind it doesnt matter if you delete cookies, temporary internet files, clear history in your web browser etc... because all that DATA is on your college's server. Which you don't have access to.

My work also 'filters'/blocks certain websites (for good reasons) such as: elitehackers.info/ myspace.com/windowsnetworking.com etc...

They use http://www.squid-cache.org/ for it. <---Awesome application.

BTW, I only use this method on floaters/test machines, I would NEVER think about doing something like this in a college lab computer or a workstation.

http://www.cgi-proxy.net/