Thread: Google Hacks

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Google Hacks

If you haven't read Google Hacks (from O'Reilly) you probably should. You can find some more from the author's website/forum at: http://johnny.ihackstuff.com

Today, in a work discussion someone mentioned: http://www.g2p.org/ which looks interesting. It'd also be worthwhile to read the itty bitty print they have.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Ms Mittens excellent thread as usual. However, I do have to ask one question for you. If you used the 'google proxy' for example on the link you posted and I was at work even though I deleted my cookies, temporary internet files, clear history, clear forms and clear passwords in IE, would it still show on the server side all my cookies and other temporary itnernet files? Or be cached on my companys server that I used the proxy?

See the workstation I am on right now at work is VERY restricted so I would never do it but just for curiosity purposes?

No idea. I haven't had a chance to play with the site fully as of yet. It would probably need some experimentation to determine server side cookies et al.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

All that is is just merely a search parameter. I have it right here, my friend gave it to me. Note: I am not taking credit for this at all. Just play around with it and see what you can find. In the place of MP3, I put JPG to find pictures, havn't tested with movie file extensions yet. Also note: I am not promoting using this method, just merely food for thought.

On to the goods:

intitle:index.of "mp3" +"artist/songnamehere" -htm -html -php -asp "Last Modified"

Insert song where it says artist/songnamehere and you are ready to rock. Just put all that in the good ole Google search in and you are golden. Oh, and do not, downloading from the FTP sites that come up...hehe...songs in 8 seconds anyone? Not that I have done it....

Wrong books and authors

Google hacking for penetration testers is by Johnny Long by Syngress publishing... Google Hacks from O'Reilly is by Tara Calishain and Rael Dornfest

Both are great so I guess it doesn't matter?

D'oh! I have both. I should have double checked beforehand. Thanks for pointing it out.

I just read it yesterday in the bookstore actually (Yes, they let you do that at Chapters, it's saved me thousands probably).

It goes into a lot more detail than just formulating good search queries. It covers SEO, Google Analytics, Google Maps, Sitemaps, the Google API, PageRank, and AdWords, to name just a few. I would have bought it actually, but I went to the bookstore sans le cash so I wouldn't be able to buy anything on impulse.

It was a great read, I read it because I'm working on a project which uses the Maps API to generate maps displaying job locations and whatnot. It helped a fair bit, although it was based on the previous version of the maps API and not the most recently released one (i.e. they claim Google has no geocoding service - which was introduced with the latest API)

I'd highly recommen it to just about anybody. As a webmaster, it will help you not just with Google, but all search engines. As a developer, it has a lot of detail on the API and several ways you can use Google you never thought of yet. And otherwise, the search techniques it teaches are pretty amazing.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Quote Originally Posted by Striek
    I just read it yesterday in the bookstore actually (Yes, they let you do that at Chapters, it's saved me thousands probably).
    You know, if you search on Johnny's site of Google Hacks, you can find the string that will let you find the actual ebook of it and download it. *Hint Hint*