Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: No Windows cd with my Dell

We do not assist nor troubleshoot 'clean installs' theres a reason for it.
    Understood, ComputerNerd. I often do rollouts for good-sized enterprises. They lease their units from Dell, then reimage them. And, of course, they're doing their own support in-house. Being leased units, I do believe the hardware is warrantied on some level (lawdy, they go thru a lot of Maxtor hdd's).

So your company voids any hardware warranty if the OEM software is deinstalled?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    So your company voids any hardware warranty if the OEM software is deinstalled?
    Again, yes. They remove *our* software and replace it with their *own* it voids their warranty. Whether its hardware/software.

Were not responsible for 'clean installs' installing unneccessary software, and drivers for their systems causing driver conflicts and other conflicts that can cause 'hardware' to malfunction.

Dead Man Walking
    Speaking from experience there a different types of windows install CDs. The ones you buy off the shelf and the OEM ones. Thay have different keys. An off the shelf windows cd will not recognize an OEM key and vice versa.

And as far as warranties go we are talking two completely differernt situations. On one hand we have home users, and on the other hand we have corporations doing large scale stuff with an inhouse IT department. Now I know for a fact that most major manufacturers do not support software issues, malware, and such as part of the warranty. How do I know this? I (untill i got laid off due to corporate restructure) worked at an authorized service center for most major brand computers. The only major manufaturer we were not an authorized center for was dell. And dont even get me started on them.

And yes it is perfectly legal for them to consider the warranty void after ANY modification. Its like going out and buying a brand new Chevy S-10 and putting a 350 in it. Chevy isnt going to honor the warranty if the transmision goes out. They take the view that if you could figure out how to make the changes you should be able to figure out how to fix it.

On the other hand we have fairly decent sized companies. They have in house IT and leased equipment. There is usualy a service agreement between the manufacturer and the company. It usualy consists of the company agreeing to lease X amount of equipment for N amount of time and have IT people with Z qualifications. In return when said IT people contact the manufacturer they will send and parts ,within reason, requested. They put a certain amount of trust in the IT people because they have said qualifications.

Originally posted here by Computernerd22

Your backwards. You don't care about your warranty, but your care about a 25 digit prodcut key code that doesnt hold any value. (much like your warranty for your system). You won't be saying that 'I dont care about my warranty,' when your MOBO goes out or you have a cracked LCD screen or a fan went out for example. Wait until they charge you for it, then for shipping and handling. I don't think the 25 digit product key code will 'assist' you there. [/B]
    The reason that I'm not bothered about warranty is because my laptop warranty has expired.

Sorry if I misunderstood your response about OEM/retail disks and OEM/retail product keys. Am I right in thinking that an OEM disk will only work with an OEM product key and a retail disk will only work with a retail product key?

I appreciate that many here have worked in the industry for quite some considerable time. I'm an eager amateur who's trying to learn more about this confusing field!

Dead Man Walking
    Sorry if I misunderstood your response about OEM/retail disks and OEM/retail product keys. Am I right in thinking that an OEM disk will only work with an OEM product key and a retail disk will only work with a retail product key?
    I answered that one allready and so have other people. Try reading a little.

Am I right in thinking that an OEM disk will only work with an OEM product key and a retail disk will only work with a retail product key?
    You never know until you try...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Originally posted here by brokencrow
    Support? What is support? Thirty minutes on hold so you can talk to a tech with a heavy south Indian accent who only works Level 1 and is as likely as not to give you bad advice!
    That's why Dell instituted the live chat feature...it was a godsend when my laptop display went bad. I had the problem solved and a tech sent out to replace it the next day. Not sure if other vendors have this available, but it definitely beats talking to "Johh" or "Mary" from India, and you have a transcript emailed to you for your records.

Regal Making Handler
    Originally posted here by Computernerd22
    Again, yes. They remove *our* software and replace it with their *own* it voids their warranty. Whether its hardware/software.

Were not responsible for 'clean installs' installing unneccessary software, and drivers for their systems causing driver conflicts and other conflicts that can cause 'hardware' to malfunction.
    Who do you work for ??

I only ask so I may avoid them like the "black death".
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Who do you work for ??
    I work for a major computer company in the USA. Now, that I am off of work and off of their 'restricted' workstations and on my home pc I can clarify, what I meant since I was in a hurry at work.

When I said if They remove *our* software and replace it with their *own* it voids their warranty. For example, if you buy a new notebook and you remove *our* software and install a distro of Linux and your hardware fails, then 'you' would have to run *our software* thats ingerated into the system (so its never really gone) then reformat the machine to rule out tat it could possibly be a software issue. However, if the same promblem occurs after performing a fully recovery then yes, we would have the laptop serviced and we would pay for shipping and handling and everything else free of charge and it have back in a few buisness days.

I only ask so I may avoid them like the "black death".
    I like it where I am at. I wouldnt bad mouth my company.

Hope thhis clear things up.

Hey, Computernerd22, I think that you might be giving a slightly bad impression about your company?

if They remove *our* software and replace it with their *own* it voids their warranty.
    When suppliers deal with major corporate or institutional customers, they do so on the buyer's terms. Typically, they just want the hardware and no service or support services, as they have their own staff to handle that.

So, this is taken into account in the contract negotiations, and all the OEM is usually left with is the parts/components warranty, and even that is negotiable.

It is very much a dual market economy

The institutional customer wants control and consistency. That should be built into their security model anyways?................. the OEM wants consistency, but only from a support viewpoint, so they are quite happy to negotiate special terms with major customers.

The only time this becomes an issue is with small and individual customers, who expect the OEM warranty? I guess it then boils down to the old saying "you cannot have your cake and eat it". So, if you mess with the product you void the warranty................ but that goes for just about everything you buy these days doesn't it?

I really don't see this as a big deal, hell, if someone messed with a machine that I built for them then I would not repair it for free