Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LCD Monitors

LCD Monitors

Hi you all,
    I am a big gamer, and I am in the market of purchasing my first LCD Panel monitor. I always stuck to my CRT, but I think its time to retire my old friend. Well, I was looking for a monitor that is great for gaming. I did some research prior to posting on this forum. This is what I would like:

19inch
    Contrast ratio at least 1000:1
    Response time at least : 4mns

From what I read I came to the conclusion that those two specs, are what really determine the sharpness for the monitor. I do have a budget, and I would like to keep it under $400. Does anyone have any input?

Hi there,
    i am gamer who still refuses to switch to lcd monitor , even tho its not budget related at all.You posted that you did some researh.Maybe this article would help you little bit to make your choice easier.
    http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=390

Well unvi$ible, I read that article, and I appreciate you posting here. Now, after reading, I just got more confused on which one to purchase. Do you have any suggestions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...n=&srchInDesc=

There's a list of monitors that have 1000:1 ratio and less than 8ms response time offered by newegg, some are over your budget. I suggest you read the reviews that they provide on newegg and look for other reviews on google for any monitor you are interested in.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Thanks...........

Ok, Last questions, where should I put more weight, to the mns, or the contract ratio?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    pick the PRETTY one

internally they will all be very similar
    I lost my old CRT monitor and I replaced it with an ACER 19 W/S [AL1916W]
    never had any issues
    just had to get used to wide screen, but I prefer W/S now on all applications

just buy the one you like the look of
    because you will be spending a LOT of time looking at it
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

So you are telling me that both are the same; contrast ratio and mns? I am a big gamer, and I am afraid to retire my CRT.

19inch
    Contrast ratio at least 1000:1
    Response time at least : 4mns

From what I read I came to the conclusion that those two specs, are what really determine the sharpness for the monitor.
    What do mean by Sharpness?

Sharpness or do you mean Image Quality?

Sharpness is related to focus and resolution.. some will refer `to it as the "Crispness" of the image.

Contrast Ratio is the based on the levels between Black and white and how close in briightness 2 pixels will still appear different in brightness.. the human eye can define a contrast ratio of 200000:1 ie can tell the difference between two very similar shades of grey or black

Now Response time.. or image latency..this is important for gaming .. any thing better than 6ms is faster than most CRT monitors ever were....
    I am still a great supporter of black-white-black. rather than the grey-white grey..
    But what ever on this. all it is about basically is How long an image remains on the screen after the display is told that it has changed..
    The effect of theis being too high .. Ghosts following fast moving objects on the screen..

Your best bet is to - decide on a few models.. Have look at them in action.. preferably in use on a similar application to what your using AND IN SIMILAR LIGHTING.. Like CRTS No two monitors give the same quality of image...the quality of the panel vary.. cheap brands are worse than the more expensive..

Check on the Brands and the retailer policy on Dead Pixels.. If there is no DOA policy.. demand to check the monitor in store.. if there are limitations be sure you understand what they mean before you purchase.. Buyer beware..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by unvi$ible
    Hi there,
    i am gamer who still refuses to switch to lcd monitor , even tho its not budget related at all.You posted that you did some researh.Maybe this article would help you little bit to make your choice easier.
    http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=390

I agree!
    If you have time teach me I\'m eager to learn.