Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Old AO was cool

Black dot means the user has chosen not to display reps (userCP).

I will think about where to put a home button, if that many people are bothered by clicking the header logo.

The header was basically copied and pasted right from the old site. What's there now is what was there before.

or to see what it was like visit

http://web.archive.org/web/200504010...ntionline.com/

but you'd really have to be there to see what all members are missing
    O.G at A.O

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by er0k
    I'm sorry, but i came to this site when i was 15 years old. ****ing 15.
    And it seems you haven't matured much since then.

If you reall don't like the change, then you can always vote with your feet.

I've hardly posted here in ages, but since the change I've been making the odd few posts and keeping an eye on the site.

A good thing IMHO

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Hi Spyrus,

The "rating thing" is sort of similar. Be careful though, it has 5 gold stars........one gold star is "terrible" and five stars is "excellent".......... no stars just means "unrated"

There is no apparent effect of user reputation on the thread, so you won't kill a decent thread if you take a shot at a Troll, you will just kill the Troll. You use the scales symbol down the bottom left for this, and it adjusts "reputation" which is the vanilla expression for antipoints.

I have no idea what the options are for the rating feature, as I haven't had time too look yet; I have been trying to help with the transition as much as possible. I would hope that in the future it would be possible to default all ratings to 3 stars, which means "average", then the feature would have more meaning perhaps?

Cheers

Thanks for the info.... The 3 stars thing would be nice johnno but it would be better if it was possible to use words again, seems easier, maybe I just like words more than little damn symbols i have to hold my mouse over to figure out what it means

JPnyc: In reference to the news and ads, I think it was just that it was more centered before and smaller, as displayed in the link mem...copyright posted. If you could put the home button to the left of CP that might be the best place I would think? So now users can leave reps(ap's) and choose whether you see them or not? and you dont know who did it unless they drop their name in the comment? either way if you cant control it you cant control it. I do like that it bolds the topics I havent read or have changed since my last login... still having issues with firefox remembering i am here...
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Users can't see who left reps no matter what, but admins can. That's the way the software is designed. Also helps keep outbreaks of war between members to a minimum. "You negged me you @#$%!" etc.

I'll think about the best place to put a home button as soon as I get a chance to think for more than half a second

could the rep assign page be a pop up like with AP's if possible at all...
    O.G at A.O

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia
    Leave em on! I like having a reputation.. It is the only place on the planet I will ever have one....
    Unfortunatelly, it is a bad one
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Custom User
    I think one of the problems with the look of the site is the fact that the home page actually looks like a forum now - imagine that! I personally don't like that, but I also can't find a good reason why it shouldn't be so; also it won't stop me from coming to the site, so why should I care?

To whoever was complaining about the adverts at the top of the site, you can probably clear that up a bit using AdBlock! - a firefox extension (I'm currently waiting for them to update it to work with firefox 2.0 although I guess if I really cared that much about it I wouldn't have upgraded).

One last thing. I know that whoever was involved in the update presumably worked their asses off, and probably did an amazing job as far as the stuff that really matters is concerned, but you have to take into account that from a user's perspective the look of a system is quite often far more important than how it actually works since they don't necessarily understand the mechanics of the thing. Add to that the fact that Jup Media make money off this site and you can understand why people are so pissed off about a few images with white borders, etc.

Fair enough us members aren't paying Jup Media for a service directly, but we are indirectly since it's the members that make a site like this; no members equals no advertising revenue. I guess what I'm really saying is that although the new site was apparently tested for a month or whatever, there were just a few bits and pieces that you'd expect to have been sorted during that testing that weren't, and I reckon the main problem probably is that a lot of members feel like Jup Media doesn't actually give a **** about them.

But anyhow, from my point of view as long as I have my programming forums I don't really care - just a few points that you might want to consider.

ac

I don't believe it's all about the bells, whistles, buttons, makeup and lipstick of a site. In the past we'd just hack it so we could make it do what we needed - can't do in this case. You'd become bubba's toy. Licenses, laws, attorneys, etc... And that may be part of the issue regarding the 'old vs new'. It was unique and fluid. Not confined by rigidity. Oh the lure of elitism (or something like that)
    Connection refused, try again later.